View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #57
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Stompin' Tom has died at 77

Thanks so much JJ.

Yes, the sadness in this occasion will definitely linger for a while.

I'll miss ol' Tom.

Yesterday at the "Heart and Crown" in the Byward market, downtown, Ottawa we played a pre "Paddy's Day" gig and there was a special announcement made regarding Tom's passing.
The speaker echoed Tom's request to donate to the food banks and homeless shelters in his memory. We topped the request off and played "Gumboot Cloggeroo."

Today at the "LaFayette Pub," also in the Byward market a special "Stompin" Tom" afternoon session is planned and I'm looking forward to attending that one, axe in hand.

I told Tom years ago that the reason why I liked his songs so much is because of the "little hook" he put in them. He complimented me by telling me liked "my own spin" I put on them.

He loved it also when we would play Gord's tunes. He would say "there's Ronnie Jones with his 150 string guitar (referring to the 12 string) and "just as many capos." Tom never used capos.

I'm looking forward also to attending the memorial celebration in Peterborough next Wednesday evening. It's about a three hour or so drive from Ottawa so I'll stay over in town and get to pay my respects and hang out with the family and friends, many whom I haven't seen for a while.

All very sad though.

PS: Ottawa CTV were there filming at the gig yesterday so there may be some news footage still available on their network.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote