View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Same Old Loverman

Default Gordon at Massey Hall 1974!

Since there's been no new releases from Gordon of unreleased concerts or songs I tend to get excited when I hear something new. Last year it was the PBS Chicago concert from 1973, then earlier this year the shows from 1974 and 75 in Charlotte. Now someone has been kind enough to post Gordon's 3/23/74 concert at Massey Hall on Sugarmegs.

What can I say, it's Gordon and it's awesome! I know this recording has been around for awhile but I've never had the opportunity to sink my ears into it- until now. As far as sound quality, I'd say it's pretty close to excellent. There's a few pops and crackles (probably from the cassette) but overall very enjoyable. This is also a great recording for appreciating Rick's bass playing, as it comes through very well.

I'll try not to ramble too much, but for me, a few of the highlites are: "Pleasures of the night", which I don't think I've ever heard before but really like. I was also really knocked out when he did "Ballad of Yarmouth Castle" which prior to this, I had only heard on "Sunday Concert." Nice to hear a different version, Gordon even mentions something about it probably being the last time they do it for awhile. This is followed by a true heartfelt rendition of "Stone Cold Sober" which apart from "Songbook" was never released. I've always wondered if he wrote this for Cathy Smith or if she was in the audience that night, there's a lot of emotion going on here, and I can't help but think he was thinking of her. He caps things off perfectly with "Looking at the Rain" and "Wherefore and Why." What an awesome concert, with a fantastic setlist.

I wonder if this was one of the shows that was proffesionally recorded for release, but deemed unacceptable due to a technical glitch. What a shame if it was. Thankfully someone snuck a tape recorder in and captured at least one of the shows. Somewhere I read (I think) that all the shows at Massey from 1969 were recorded, I wonder if they'll ever go back and release those? I would think there's a lot that they didn't use on the "Sunday Concert." Anyway, I'll be listening to this one for quite awhile!
Same Old Loverman is offline   Reply With Quote