Thread: Ireland
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #11
titan

Hello Everyone, We made it back in one piece and had an incredible time!! What a beautiful country!! The daffodils are in full bloom over there and people were mowing grass!! It never rained once and it was around 45 degrees for a high which was quite comfortable.

The trip went well after I got the hang of driving on the left hand side of the road. This can be a little scarey until your mind accepts the fact that you are SUPPOSED to be on the left. We visited the Cliffs of Moher and saw some breathtaking views. These 600-800 foot high cliffs rise at a 90 degree angle straight up out of the Atlantic Ocean.
This was a dramatic way to begin the trip.

We had a long drive to our cottage which was on the Dingle peninsula. We got in and unpacked and decided to go in to Dingle town.
This town has PILES OF PUBS!!
We went to one called The Small Bridge Bar and listened to live traditional music. This was VERY COLD unless you were near a fireplace so my wife found a cozy spot and we settled in over a pint.

Here is the surprise of our trip!! I went thinking about how fun it would be to listen to Gordon Lightfoot in a pub over there and now I was thoroughly enjoying Traditional Irish music. In fact, I could not get enough of it. During our stay, at about 9:30 PM every evening you could wander the town and stick your head in any door you heard something you liked!!! All kinds of music!! Violins, banjos, guitars, drums, flutes, harmonicas, and "squeeze boxes" were common instuments and the Irish pub scene was an unforgettable experience.

I listened to plenty of Lightfoot in our car as we drove the countryside but WOW!! The music in the Pubs was awesome. We also went to McCarthy's Pub and listened to a Van Morrison type musician. His name was Roesy and he was terrific. We bought his CD after the concert and it is getting alot of play time.

Ireland certainly was not a dissapointment to me. The music, food and beautiful countryside were enough to make me want to go back. But, the Irish people were so genuine and kind I will guarantee it had an impact on me. This trip was a learning adventure for me. I ended up bringing a little bit of the Irish back in myself.