View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
Gitchigumee

Default Re: Minneapolis- March 22, 2009: Set List

I, too, had the privilege of being in attendance on Sunday evening at the State Theatre in Minneapolis. I attended with my friend Joan, who is a relative newcomer in her appreciation for Gordon Lightfoot. For me, this was my third time seeing Gord at the State Theatre, and my sixth GL concert overall. I would like to share a couple of my own thoughts on the concert as well as the moments that stood out most for me.

The State Theatre venue is perfect for Gordon Lightfoot. Each time I have seen him there, the place has been packed, the crowd has been very enthusiastic, and the atmosphere electric. This time, I was sitting next to a fellow who, each time Gord began playing a song, would make these wonderful comments like, "Ahhhh..." or "Oh yeahhhh..." or "mmmmm...." He was thoroughly enjoying the concert, and I could tell he may never have seen Gord before or if he had, it had been a long time since.

There were some very outgoing fans in the balcony, and one man in particular would shout out loudly and clearly things like "I love you Gordon" and then of course Gord would smile in his humble and shy way. At one point between songs someone shouted out "Do Early Morning Rain!" to which Gord quickly said "OK" and then jumped right into that song.

Gord repeated some of his usual stuff such as the joke about the hare, making a comment about one of his ex-old-ladies, and how he never heard a cover that he didn't like. It is such a delight to hear him like this and I hang on every word--he just cracks me up, some of his jokes and stories are so corny!

I loved it when he sang Me & Bobby McGee, I was SO EXCITED because I had been hoping to hear it! The minute he began to say something about Kris Kristofferson, I knew what he was leading up to, and I'm sure I impressed everyone around me when I exclaimed, "He's gonna do Bobby McGee!" He did a terrific job, he just nailed it.

I absolutely melted when he sang Ribbon of Darkness and the part where he sang "the rain is fallin' on the mea---dow, where once my love and I did lie...now she is gone from the mea---dow, my love, good...bye." I could not help but let an "awwee" excape my lips each time he sang "mea---dow." It was so sweetly sung. Ribbon of Darkness is special to me as it is the one song which if I could do a duet with Gord, that would be it.

I was very happy to have spotted Louise and Gary in the audience and say hi to them, whom I had met 18 months earlier at, of course, a GL concert. I was shocked during intermission, after I stood up to stretch when the lights went up, and I turned around and there was John (Seafarer) sitting directly behind me with his sister. I had met them also 18 months ago at, of course, a GL concert. It struck me during the 2nd half of the concert, how much fun it would be to sit next to a fellow Corfidian during the actual concert--someone who appreciates all of the lyrics, notes, songs, stories, and love for Gord as much as I do.

There is so much more I could say, but suffice it to say, it was another magical night and I am still floating on my own Lightfoot cloud even 3 days afterwards.

Thank you Gordon Lightfoot and guys, for bringing such absolute joy to my life! I love you!

- Gitchigumee
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 03-25-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote