View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
wendylangley

Yesterday a friend asked me when I came to love John Denver's music. I instantly re-turned to a time-capsule I hadn't visited in some time. The JD question is answered in the capsule, but the time . . .

I posted this under Favorite Songs today, but have felt led to share it here. This song is embedded in me. It has become part of me and everywhere I've played since.

It's not just a "favorite," but an experience that runs deep into the soul.

"Like crippled ships that made it through the storm and finally reached a quiet shore, the Homeless found a Home on Susan's Floor."

One of the few songs Gord did not write, yet brought to absolute life like none other.

And now, The Time Capsule:

The early 70s; North Shore Lake Tahoe; a gentle young lady - called herself Sam - took in Stray Dogs.

They would drape themselves all over the furniture; pass the chips; pass the pipe; pass the guitar; and pass sweet fellowship.

The evening would begin to the soft John Denver and Poems, Prayers, and Promises floating from the stereo. Thus began the sharing, the caring, and the circle.

A breath would occasionally occur. Sam would play just the right song for the moment on the stereo. Then the Stray Dogs would resume their stories.

Sam would choose the time to bring the evening to a close W/ the playing of Shel Silverstein's beautiful lyric flowing from Gordon Lightfoot via the stereo.

The Stray Dogs would slowly move from the furniture to the floor, and become still - the Homeless found a Home On Susan's Floor.

As breathing came more deeply, Sam would play John Stewart and Chilly Winds - as those sweet dreams would come . . .

I can't sing those songs without seeing that scene so long ago - as present as breath - and for a priceless moment, young.

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
wendylangley is offline   Reply With Quote