View Single Post
Old 12-24-2000, 05:09 PM   #9
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

Florian,

First of all, let me please say thank you for your kind words and I want you to know that I in absolutely no way hold you responsible for what happened with that unfortunate thread. (S.Blue, I don't feel that you had anything to do with it either. You DIDN'T start anything as you seem to feel. You expressed a feeling of outrage and the posters who flamed you showed a complete lack of class. If you look back at the thread, you will see that Gord's real followers were behind you 100 percent.)

I think that compulsory registration is a very good idea. Florian, I wrote to you privately with why and I won't bore everyone by reiterating it again here. The gist of it is with compulsory registration and verification of e-mail addresses it will probably work because someone who just wants to be a trouble-maker will probably not bother to go to that much trouble. Sincere posters will find it absolutely no problem at all. And, as for privacy concerns, most of us have more than one e-mail address, so there is really no need to include your main one. No one's privacy will be threatened.

With the Gordon Lightfoot discussion group that I have, it is very secure, but it does involve receiving posts by e-mail. Some people are too busy to read every post and unless the subject line is changed every time a post is made, sometimes the subject lines have nothing to do with the post. So you are actually obliged to read the post to see what it is. With this discussion board here, each thread is separated out and you can respond to whichever ones you want.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods, but I think it's nice that people have the option to join one or both groups.

This sort of thing happened on another message board I had access to and it got so bad, the moderator had to just take down the entire message board and go to the e-mail method. So don't feel you are alone.

What I can't understand is why do people have to waste their time invading and riling up a quiet group of people who are minding their own business and communicating about something in which they share a common interest and passion? Where's the sport? I'm afraid I just don't understand it.

Anyway, thanks for listening and Florian, once again, thank you for your concern and your kind words to me. Please don't let this put a damper on your holiday.

And Silver Heels, I also agree with you. Let's no longer talk about Gord not being with us. (Florian, can you just delete that thread ... if everyone agrees, that is?)

Stay loose, eh? And all of you have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas and lots of happiness and luck in the New Year!

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man