View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #54
Janice

quote:Originally posted by talbot10:
That said, the clamore to be the "ones" who are closest to Gord's heart has ruined some friendships and that is sad. In the end, the music is great but individially we likely don't mean jack shit to Gordon Lightfoot or anyone in his inner circle on a personal basis. Not that we should. We are just fans. It would serve most folks here better to remember that and stay friends.
Bill Hall

Nicely said, Bill, and I agree whole-heartedly with your philosophy.

As for CDs being critiqued before they even come out...The Harmony reviews taught me that I'll listen to others opinions, but I won't hold much stock in them until I listen for myself. As an example, after reading all the comments about Harmony, I had an expectation that ended up being way off base. After reading that it wasn't as "produced" as earlier albums (someone even said it was "underproduced" - in a good way, not a negative one), I expected songs stripped down to basics - something closer to an "unplugged" feel - and I pretty much found it to be just as "produced" as his previous albums (those that I've heard, anyway and granted, I've not heard them all). Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing and it doesn't make it a bad CD, I was just expecting something very different and was a little disappointed from that perspective (I've gotten over it, though).

Songs and albums strike folks differently and in a broad spectrum of personalities, tastes vary even in the isolated realm of Lightfoot material. I seem to recall a common favorite song for most folks that doesn't make it your favorites list or mine. (I won't mention the title, just in case my memory isn't serving me correctly )

Bottom line is you have to appreciate other opinions, but judge for yourself.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote