View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK I particularly recall 1967 which was such a special year for me.It was Canada's Centennial year of course with the wonderful Expo 67 set on an island in the St Lawrence river just off Montreal's main large island

i could write a whole book of my memories of Expo alone, suffice it to say that in preparation for it Montreal's mayor (Jean Drapeau) ordered a general cleanup turning the city from a replica London bomb site into a smart clean city,and a special mention of the great British pavilion replete with much British humour. (in the entrance hall was a full sized Concorde Olympus jet engine mounted vertically above a large circular mirror, there were usually a group of young lads closely studying the mirror and watching young lasses climbing the circular staircase strategically winding up around the engine!).
And of course one day in May Gord Red and John played at Expo and in the evening gave a concert at the New Penelope coffee house, my first of many immensely enjoyable concerts.
Next I well remember my first Royal Albert Hall. London concert in June 1972.
At all those early concerts my overriding memory is of the way Gord rocked/nodded his head at certain points, If you don't know what I mean , play your copy of the Reno video (always a good idea!) and at about 46 minutes (in the middle of Shadows) he does a nice example
Then there was of course 1999 when I found the chatroom, met a number of wonderful ladies especially Susan, Jenney and Diane and set myself up to overcome my health problem in 2000
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote