View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 01:37 PM   #2
TheWatchman

Yes. I received an email from a member of this site several months ago when I was inquiring about picking up some bootlegs to trade etc. I was told that if I ever mentioned anything about bootlegs either on Corfid or any of the newsgroups, I would most likely be hearing from Barry Harvey or Lightfoot's attorney, or something to that effect. I was also told that any discussion whatsoever about bootlegs will not be tolerated at either discussion venue. I have never, nor would I, ever sneak recording equipment into a concert. I don't have the nerve to do that. But I do love to listen to him perform live.

I sent Matthew the disc from the La Cave concert, as most of you already know. I received it from a member of the Newsgroup who also has a Lightfoot site of his own. I won't mention any names. I had first asked Matthew to please remove my name from the LaCave concert, just to be safe as I was not sure what was brewing behind the scenes. After further thought, I said the heck with it and just leave my name next to it, and if it needs to come down, then so be it.

I too would really like to know the truth surrounding this bootleg issue. I can see no reason why Lightfoot or EMP would have a problem with what Matthew is doing. Nothing is available for sale that is on his site. Nothing is being sold. It is all free to those who want to download it or just simply listen to it.

There are many members of this site that have never heard Gordon live (and most likely never will due to his current health situation) and this is a great way for them to share in the phenominal concerts that he gives us. We are all huge fans and are always striving to find new material.

If anything, it is flattering that he still has such a huge fan base that wants all the rare recordings that they can get their hands on. We all own every single album and CD that has ever been released. I can see no harm but it does not matter what I or anybody else thinks. Those in the know at this site all have the bootlegs too. So, is it okay to have them but just don't let anybody but close friends know about it? Or is it best just to not have them at all? I know what my answer is and I also know that most of the people on this site have many, many, many bootlegs of their own. I just want some straight talk about this issue for once.

We don't need to get into the law with this. We all know what it is. Some of you know how Gord and EMP feels about bootlegs. This is the real issue. Does Gord mind if fans share live recordings? That is where the buck stops, at least in my book.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote