charlene

Default Re: Pictures from Hamilton event

Lightfoot lights up the fundraiser
Gary Yokoyama, the Hamilton Spectator

September 08, 2009
Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
(Sep 8, 2009)
It seemed like everyone had a story to share with Gordon Lightfoot.

A man from Toronto who had been trying to shake Lightfoot's hand for years, a woman who met him when she was a little girl, another man who was donating his newly autographed shirt to his 92-year-old father-in-law.

The Canadian music legend was in town as part of the Hamilton Earthquake Relief Fundraiser, held Sunday at Michelangelo Banquet Centre.

The event, to support earthquake relief in L'Aquila, Italy, was organized by the National Congress of Italian Canadians-Hamilton District and renowned artist Gino Cavicchioli.

To date, around $400,000 has been raised to help with the aftermath of the April 6 quake.

Cavicchioli estimated more than 1,000 tickets, which cost $10 each, had been sold for the event.

It was an art show first, and for $10 patrons got to enjoy the works and wine, but were treated to performances by Lightfoot and acclaimed pianist Valerie Tryon.

Lightfoot was on-hand to help with the effort, as well as enjoy the unveiling of a bust depicting the superstar.

"Lightfoot is someone that I've loved for about 40 years, so I approached him last summer to come to my studio and sit for me," Cavicchioli said.

It took the artist, who was responsible for bringing Lightfoot to the fundraiser, more than 200 hours to complete the work.

"Gino has the cascade (of hair) very nice in the back," Lightfoot joked after seeing the bust.

The singer dazzled the hundreds who attended the exhibit of Cavicchioli's work with an intimate performance of two songs, including the hit If You Could Read My Mind. Afterwards, fans flocked to the music legend, telling him stories, asking for autographs and snapping pictures.

One Ancaster fan, Chuck Ouellette, 55, presented Lightfoot with a piece of the bell tower from the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Ouellette said he was friends with those who went to retrieve the bell.

One of Lightfoot's best-known hits is the The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald.

At first Ouellette thought of an autograph, but decided on giving the piece to Lightfoot instead.

"It meant more to give it to him because he brought the ship to life," he said.

dbrown @thespec.com

905-526-4629
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamilton Spectator pic.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2869  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote