View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Vancouver Sun article

Well, the Easter Bunny has left for another year and the dust cloud on the edge of Vancouver town is Gordon Lightfoot on his way to Calgary.
At this point he's probably in the concert hall as would be our Char and no doubt a full house of Gord fans as was the case here in Vancouver this past Friday and Saturday nights.

When Gord played Massey Hall last November I remember him saying when he walked out onto the stage something to the effect that he "couldn't find words to describe the feeling of how good it was to be there in the hometown performing."

Well, that sentiment was exactly the way I felt when he walked out onto the stage here in Vancouver this past weekend.

Just seeing him from a vantage point in the complete spectrum of the spotlight making his way to the microphone in that true to form Gordon Lightfoot posture, twelve string guitar strapped on and tuned to perfection in concert pitch, crowds just roaring with applause; how could anyone in the hall not get caught up in that kind of frenzy?

It's now Monday and I'm still rollin' on the high of it all.

Anyway, so it's Friday night and I'm on my own just entering the hall heading on over to the box office to pick up six tickets for Saturday night's concert as my wife Marian and several of our relatives are on for the show. It's a special weekend for me as I'm always in my element when I have the opportunity to take anyone to a Gordon Lightfoot concert.

From the corner of my eye I can see waving to me our "mandoann" from Corfid who came up to Vancouver from Oregon for the two concerts.
So we connect and have a chat as I had the opportunity to meet Ann at the previous Massey Hall gig.

Bernie Fiedler is also in town for the shows.

It's a Gordon Lightfoot Easter weekend in Vancouver and the place is hoppin'.

Ann tells me that she will try and do the setlist and I say that I also brought my note pad, tiny flashlight and binoculars, so between the two of us, hopefully we can produce.

I'm all settled and the gentleman in the seat beside me I discover is in town from Perth, Australia and we had a nice chat.

So in true sagittarian form, after I get the first two songs listed I drop my pen onto the floor and it bounces on down under the seat of the person in front of me. So that is the extent of my set list attempt. Help me Ann, please.

But it doesn't take away from enjoying the performance, and Gord, despite battling a cold was in great form.

On the Saturday night we had an opportunity for Ann to meet Bernie and have a chat. We talked about Gord's cold but Bernie assured us that "he's OK" and of course, as is with colds they have to run their course but it's clear he was on the mend and he performed as he always does, in a true professional manner.

The finale now at hand, at least till November, we settle back after the show for a nightcap and talk about how much we all enjoyed the evening. It was interesting hearing comments when he spoke about how his personal life related to the songs he performed. He talked about his capos and how they work in conjunction with the correct keys. The audience was loving every moment.

So overall he pulled it off as he always does, that is leaving the stage to thunderous applause following an encore and several bows and a final wave. It could be heard loud and clear throughout both performances: 'WE LOVE YA GORD!"
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote