Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #42
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Re: HE IS FINE - it was a hoax

and from the NY Times:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ghtfoot&st=cse
February 19, 2010, 9:57 am
Gordon Lightfoot Lives!
By DAVE ITZKOFF
Reuters The singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot.

If you could read Gordon Lightfoot’s mind right now, what a tale his thoughts would tell. On Thursday, the Canadian news media (not to mention the general population of the Twitterverse) was abuzz with apparent news that Mr. Lightfoot, 71, the smooth-voiced singer-songwriter of “Sundown” and “Carefree Highway,” had died while on tour. But like the man sang in “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” the legend lives on: Reuters reported that Mr. Lightfoot called into Toronto’s CP24 news station to say he was very much alive. “It seems like a bit of a hoax,” Mr. Lightfoot said. “I was quite surprised to hear it myself.” He added: “I feel fine.”

The mistaken report of Mr. Lightfoot’s death, which appears to have originated on Twitter, was carried by the Canwest News Service as well as the Web sites of the Vancouver Sun, Ottawa Citizen, and Calgary Herald newspapers, all of which have since corrected their stories. Mr. Lightfoot, meanwhile, has walked away like a movie star who gets burned in a three-way script, whatever that means.