View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #61
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Lightfoot Celebration @ Hugh's Room-January 2013 - report/videos and pictures are

THE WAY WE FEEL: A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF GORDON LIGHTFOOT

When that heading appears on the list of events at Hugh's Room in Toronto, anyone who appreciates the works of Gordon Lightfoot would be wise to catch one of these shows.

The artists who perform at those events are as appreciative of the works of this "great composer" as are the members of the audiences that come to see and hear them perform.

The interesting thing is what you get in return for the cost of the ticket is simply unbelievable.

This year I was fortunate enough to attend both the Saturday and Sunday Concerts.

Every time I see the words "Sunday Concert" in print I think back to 1969 when at Massey Hall the "Sunday Concert" album was recorded.

I swear I can hear some of my "whistle sounds" on that album each time I give it a spin.

A host of stars go out to Charlene Westbrook, a special lady with an unyielding will to provide us with information, videos of the performances etc. And thanks also to her loving daughter Lisa who surely does her fair share of the work.

Jory Nash, together with Angus Finnan are the two most instrumental guys responsible for bringing the shows to us and we give them a huge thank you.

The back up band is very tight and it's clear they are really into Gord's material.

This year's bill included Kevin Fox, an artist I was till now totally unfamiliar with.

Hugh's Room does not have a backstage area for artists to ready themselves so they enter the stage from the back of the room which is interesting as audience members have the opportunity to see each one walking through and when I saw Kevin Fox making his way to the stage, cello in tow, well I knew at that point we were going to hear something quite different.

After David Newland, the MC for the shows eloquently introduced Kevin, as he does for all others, I watched in anticipation how he readied himself when suddenly, in "pizzicato style" (with plucked strings) he started into "The Circle is Small."

Well, did this guy deliver with emotion! Really big time emotion, lyric by lyric!

"The Circle is Small" is just one of those tunes; well, when you sit down and have a serious listen, and maybe even depending on the mood at hand, could easily put you on an emotional roller coaster ride where you might just want to go and have that second cup of coffee or maybe even something just a little stiffer.

Luckily for me the waitress was just delivering my last glass of ale at the lime.

He worked his bow the way the lyrics demanded. Wow!

The audience just roared with applause.

Sunday night's performance was extra special of course as the show included non other than Gord himself and fitting it be for a proud Dad to introduce his talented daughter, Meridith who did a great job on "Steel Rail Blues."

Meridith is in leaps and bounds sounding better all the time. No doubt she has the guidance of her Dad being there to keep the home fires burning. He sure is a great Dad.

An interesting point that made me reflect to a comment Gord made in a recent interview about "leaving a clean campsite when he goes."

Well, where I was seated on the Sunday night it was close to the aisle way and when Gord was leaving his table to fetch his guitar to do his tunes he walked by me with his dinner plate in his hand and returned it to the counter.

Now there's a guy with class. What an example! Very very melting feeling it was for me watching that exercise.

To the dedicated folks who make these shows happen and that includes the staff at Hugh's Room as they most definitely are into the music as the rest of us, a huge big thank you!

Ron Jones.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote