View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
geodeticman.5

Default Lightfoot shirts w/o copywrite infringement

Howdy! I wrote this in the facebook Lightfoot fan club site in a " you know you're a lightfoot fanatic when...." thread, and thought the t-shirts were interesting. I'm still trying to decide if they are infringing on his rights (not to mention his no t-shirts wishes), but none of them say "Gordon Lightfoot". Some do say "Summer Time Dream" - seperate words, but they come up when you query Gordon Lightfoot under t-shirts. Gold bars that say "100% pure GORD", and "Canada's finest export". Pretty clever. I've been toying with ordering one of these for a year or two, but I've been being too much of a boy scout in wondering if these products would piss him off.

ANYWAY, here is what I posted, with the link at the bottom: "You scour music T-shirt sites for anything Lightfoot - knowing you'll find nothing, as Gordon has said time and again he does not want to exploit US, his fans. This is one thoughtful man. Exploit us? Most performers MIGHT be worried, if at all, about being exploited themselves. Not Lightfoot. "What a guy" Oh - AND THEN, in giving up on finding a Lightfoot t-shirt, you go to a site like cafe press, and check-out the price of making a custom "YOU DESIGN IT" T-shirt, that just says "Lightfoot rules" or something. Respecting proprietary rights makes you wince at the thought, and you eschew the notion. But you think again about it. THEN you start thinking of interesting ways to get "Lightfoot" legitimately on a shirt. You go to genealogical T-shirt sites (i.e.the clan Dunbar, in my case, etc.), find the Lightfoot family name, and think about ordering that. I will TELL YOU ALL THIS DISCOVERY ON Lightfoot T-SHIRTS: Cafepress.com does have some interesting ways to get parts of Gordon Lightfoot on a t-shirt, golf-shirt, or hat/sweatshirt,etc. You query "Gordon Lightfoot" in clothing, andthey have gold shirts etc that say "Canada's finest export" - with gold bars that say "100% pure Gord", (ostensibly for Gord's Gold?), and also this in that comes precariously close to busting copywrite, but does not,by not actually referencing the song title. ALso under the query results for "Lightfoot clothing" are shirts saying (for the ladies) "I know who MY Summertime Dream is" - it doesn't get any closer than that w/o blatantly saying the album name. They do also offer the family name "Lightfoot" on clothing,hats,student'sbook bags,etc. - here is a link to the Lightfoot sample query results - (and there are more pages by different queries) -check out the "100% pure Gord" on the bar of gold image t-shirt!" : http://www.cafepress.com/+lightfoot+gifts