View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
hkusam

HI Folks,
It was a "sick" concert...really, the cat's meow!
Very good, though I wouldn't feel stressed about the "frail" adjective in the review. I thought Gord was both clear and strong with energy and great humour. The concert hall was fabulous with marvellous views everywhere. I went up to very back at intermission and had a wonderful view..though quite steeply downhill. I asked someone there what the sound was like and he said it was crystal.
I didn't get a set list. I'm sorry...I realized in the second song...."Carefree Highway" that I'd omitted paper and pen so I skeptically thought I'd try John's tactic....ok...song#s2 What rhymes with two and has something to do with Carefree Highway. I came up with "moo"...(as in cows on the road)....see what I mean, John, that's when I gave that up. Basically it was a similar set list to the one I'd heard in August and the was pretty much what others have said. Gord did more strumming than usual...worked his thumb mainly. During "Watchman's Gone" he did not play for half the song or more, but did the chords anyway...maybe that kept time for him or seemed very natural tohim to do, anyway. You'd not really know that he had a problem with his right hand unless you were totally familiar with Gord's finger picking.
Gotta say...Vancouver treated Gord right..and vice versa. Standing ovation, lots of crowd energy in a positive way. I'm sure he felt at home among friends. I loved the comment from someone when Gord had said his concert started in Prince George. "WHERE???"
The only downside to the concert was that I'd seen my brother in law the dentist earlier in the day. His motto is "this won't hurt a bit"...well I've got news for him. Still, Gord's music was balm for the lively nerve endings.
All in all.....a great show....and more to come!
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote