View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #16
jj

Default Re: CHUM radio top 30 CHART-1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Islands View Post
Thanks for that, but it's the Canadian chart positions I'm hunting....
Some of the Wikipedia entries for Gord's albums mention Canadian success, but most don't, and he surely had a load more hits at home than internationally??
As for album success in Canada based on sales just check Wayne's site:

http://www.lightfoot.ca/sales.htm

For singles it depends on what charts you give or gave merit to.

I used to have about 1000 different Chum charts. I would take the bus or get a lift with family to the Sam the Record Man north of Toronto on Yonge St and eagerly await the fresh publications showing the rise and fall of my most and least favourite songs. What's the best measure of success? Sales, airplay, requests? By the 90s I had no use for my highlighter ridden Chum charts and had heard they would all be available to view one day. Some industry friend said he gave them as much attention as he did Grammy and Hall of Fame(s) type voting and ranking of artists, albums and songs. I began to wonder if the sales and public opinion drove the charts, or if it was the other way around. Lol

For songwriters like Gord it's hard to find a more objective measure than what's printed on royalty cheques as Formulated by SOCAN CIRPA BMI ASCAP or whoever.

As for Gord single recordings I wish I had my old RPM Weekly magazines so I could look up how Gord stuff fared. The various charts found in RPM had existed for about 40 years until last decade. They are what I used to track anything I was ever involved in. It was a pleasure meeting Walt and Stan who came up with the MAPL concept and logo which still determines CanCon (Canadian Content) criteria. Lightfoot music made the need for CanCon irrelevant on the radio station that I listened to, such as CHUM. Today I listen to fair doses of AM740 (Bob Laine) and AM1150. I miss Bob McDorey. What great photos they have at the CHUM tribute blog archive site, eh!

I used to follow charts in The Record (Kitchener) and Country Music News (Ottawa) which ceased existing early this year. Thank you, Larry Delaney.

Sorry I didn't answer you question. Lol. Char has researched some fun links. What they should do is create a Chum Chart database that can be queried and sliced and diced into different views. Fun for fans of that genre

Remeber hearing Gord played on CFRB 1010 before it was All Talk? or CJCL 1430? Where have all the music stations gone? long time passing...
jj is offline   Reply With Quote