View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #64
Off Yonge Street

Default Re: HOT DOCS-Lightfoot documentary - interviews/photos/articles-Apr.-2019

Earlier this week, I watched the documentary movie "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind" for the second time. (The Mt. Pleasant Theatre in Toronto has been screening the film several times a week for over a month. I saw the movie before in June at the Bloor Cinema.)

When I saw the movie earlier this week, I watched it with two family members who had also seen it before. Each of us enjoyed the movie even more watching it a second time.

In the first minute of CTV News anchor Lisa Laflamme's interview with him in May 2019 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6vlVNfeJ-Y), Lightfoot states that he would have preferred if the movie featured "more music . . . and less jawboning" and that, for the movie, he would chosen songs from his more recent catalogue.

For me, the mixture of music and interviews in the movie was just right. I thought the song selection in the movie was excellent, but I agree with Lightfoot that ideally the movie would have included some of his more recently-written songs.

My favourite parts of the movie (among many) occurred when snippets of "Shadows" were played during the segment about Lightfoot's canoe trips and when Lightfoot played "I'll Tag Along" solo in an empty Massey Hall.

In my opinion, the movie "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind" is best seen "in the dark, on a screen that's larger than life, with a simpatico audience" (to borrow some words from the movie critic Leonard Maltin used in a different context).

According to the IMDb.com website, the Mt. Pleasant Theatre in Toronto (located at 675 Mt. Pleasant Road, just south of Eglinton Ave. East - tel: 416.489.8484) will be screening the movie "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind" on Sunday, Aug. 18 at 2:30 p.m. and Tuesday, Aug. 20 at 7 p.m. Please note that the only form of payment that the Mt. Pleasant Theatre accepts is cash.

I encourage Lightfoot fans in the Toronto area to see the movie on the big screen while they can.
Off Yonge Street is offline   Reply With Quote