View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #22
Wingdrops

For singer, there are quite a few who top Gord, as I'm sure he'd admit. Elvis and Sinatra, to name but two. Not that the young Gord didn't have a beautiful voice.

For songwriter (NOT including Bach, Beethoven and their ilk), he's behind very few in this century. I personally like him better than Dylan as a songwriter, although he was not as influential. You'd have to consider that the top tier of popular songwriters of this century would include Dylan, Irving Berlin, Woody Guthrie, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lennon/McCartney and Paul Simon as top songwriters. I'd put them all ahead of Gord. I think Duke Ellington, Andrew Lloyn Webber, and Bruce Springsteen belong in Gord's class too (you HAVE to hear Springsteen's new album, an incredibly mature and moving response to Sept 11).

As for singer/songwriters, I'd take Lennon/McCartney as tops, a clear level above the others. A nudge behind them, I'd put Gord. I'd also include Paul simon, Joni Mitchell, Billy Joel and Elton John in his tier.

So I don't think Gord is the "best ever." HOWEVER, he is the only one currently writing in his genre, the songs of the sea, of the land and of the wanderer. The songs of break-up, of sorrow and of surprising joy and beauty. Those of us who LOVE that genre, find Gord to be incomparable.

Count me as one of those.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote