Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Barry Harvey (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=17861)

Jenney 12-05-2007 10:58 AM

Barry Harvey

It is with great sadness that I learned this morning of the death of Barry Harvey. He died unexpectedly yesterday. I believe he was Gordon's manager for approx. 20 years. My condolences go out to his family, EMP, Gordon and the band.
Jenney

gordlover 12-05-2007 11:17 AM

Re: Barry Harvey

This is sad, shocking and so hard to believe. The personal loss we feel can be nothing compared to that of his family, Gordon, the band, and EMP. We offer our sincerest condolences as we reflect on how much Barry was an integral part of our very special "Lightfoot" experience. We will miss him dearly and will keep those closest to him in our thoughts.

John and Susan

Claudia 12-05-2007 11:37 AM

Oh my gosh, I don't want to believe this. This is a total shock!
Char - have you heard anything?

charlene 12-05-2007 11:39 AM

This is very very sad news indeed.
My thoughts are with his immediate family and those in the EMP/Lightfoot family as well.
I am grateful for his kindnesses he showed to me over the years and he will be greatly missed.
He was a vital cog in the EMP wheel and a large part of the Lightfoot experience as Susan said.
Char
condolences can be sent to
EMP
1365 Yonge St. #207
Toronto, Ont.
M4T 2P7

perhaps any donations can be made to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
http://ww2.heartandstroke.ca/Page.as...D=6&Src=donate

There will be more info in the next couple of days I'm sure..

Jesse Joe 12-05-2007 11:46 AM

This is really very sad to hear, ... I feel like I've lost a relative. My condolences to his family, Early Morning Productions, Gordon and the Lightfoot band.
:(:(:(

SilverHeels 12-05-2007 11:47 AM

Just cannot get my head around this at all. When I first heard I immediately thought: Nah, must be another Barry Harvey. How can it be our Barry! As others have said, my thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends and Gord and the band. Barry always treated me with warmth and kindnesses and was always ready to chat when I called.
Nothing is ever going to be the same again.
Barry, you are going to be so missed!

Dream Street Rose 12-05-2007 12:18 PM

I spoke to a friend of mine at EMP and am waiting to find out where they would like donations to be made. My good friend Barry was only 56. He was not even a year older than me. I will write more later as I am having trouble typing.

DSR

Claudia 12-05-2007 12:19 PM

This is so sad and I have a hard time to let it sink in. My heart goes out to his family and of course to EMP and Gordon, they lost a true and longtime devoted friend. And I'm with SilverHeels, nothing will be the same without him, he will be greatly missed everywhere!
I met him only twice this year and he was so very warm, friendly and helpful, it's hard to believe he's not among us anymore. I'm really very sad.

Carol N 12-05-2007 12:30 PM

I've met Barry many times over the years. I've listened to Gordon for over 30 years and this is a huge passing for me. I'll miss Barry and will be forever grateful for all the kindness he's showed me over the years.
My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, children, Rick, Barry, Mike, Terry and of course Gordon.
Thanks for the memories Barry! God speed.

Auburn Annie 12-05-2007 12:39 PM

How devastating for Gord and the guys. And so sad at this time of year. He was way too young (heck I'm a few weeks shy of 56 myself). Barry was the cog that made the wheels of EMP go round (no diss to other staff, of course.)

Moosedog 12-05-2007 12:44 PM

Oh, how sad! I just can't believe this. :(

Vickie

brink- 12-05-2007 12:50 PM

How awful for his family. I agree Bru, our Barry!!

Gitchigumee 12-05-2007 01:05 PM

Oh my God, I can't believe it. That is terrible news. I met Barry and shook his hand in September. I am so sad.

formerlylavender 12-05-2007 01:14 PM

This is such sad news! Barry was so nice the few times we met him after the shows. He gave me his card and said to call the week before the next concert...so sad! We have pictures taken with him and shared a nice chat or two. My condolences to his family, friends and coworkers alike.

Dream Street Rose 12-05-2007 01:34 PM

Bringing this back to the top.

DSR

byKimberly 12-05-2007 02:20 PM

I'm still shocked that such a vibrant, young man is no longer here. What a life force, gentleman, character with a wonderful sense of humor. Yes, he will be missed and things will never be the same without him. I'm grateful for all the memories of him with Gord.

Yes, as Jenney so nicely said, also please accept my condolences to his family, Gord, EMP and the band members.
Kimberly

Doug 12-05-2007 02:42 PM

What a shock. I also am having trouble wrapping my head around this info.
To lighten the mood perhaps. I'll tell something funny about Barry.

I first met him in at a signing at Sam the Record Man's in May of 1998 when Gord released 'A Painter Passing Through'. This was my pilgrimage to Massey Hall. I made a request that he arrange for me to get backstage after the concert. He said that this was a hometown time and outside visitors were not normally invited. But he said look him up when the came to San Diego later in the year and he would make the necessary arrangements.

I did and he did. This was the evening when Thane Tierney pitched the boxed set to Gord. For some reason after that he started calling me Dennis. I never tried to correct him. I thought it was kind of funny

gordlover 12-05-2007 02:54 PM

Um, Doug...perhaps he associated that name with "menace"? Seriously, Doug, thank you for trying to lighten the mood because my head has felt like it weighs a thousand tons since hearing this. We will always be grateful for Barry's many kindnesses to us, especially to John. It is so hard to grasp this.

Susan

Yuri 12-05-2007 03:30 PM

I'm gonna find me a smiling angel
Yes Lord to lead me home
I'm gonna get me a smiling angel
Yes Lord to lead me home
And when he takes me by the hand
I know the Lord will understand
I'm gonna get me a smiling angel to lead me home
I'm gonna get me a smiling angel to lead me home

Gord always seems to have the words for me whether in times of happiness or sorrow. This time is no different......
My most heartfelt condolences go out to Barry's family, friends & acquaintances at this sad time. Also to Gordon and the band. I'm just floored......

Yuri

jbt1976 12-05-2007 03:30 PM

Formerlylavender called me today and told me about Barry, and I could only think of how nice and down-to-earth he was to us. I feel so bad for everyone close to him- how sad.

podunklander 12-05-2007 03:43 PM

My condolences to Barry Harvey's family, friends and co-workers.

Pam

RM 12-05-2007 03:43 PM

I never encountered Mr. Harvey, but have only seen kind mention of him during my time here on corfid. I plead ignorance, but perhaps someone could give an idea of his responsibilities in the Lightfoot enterprise.

Yuri 12-05-2007 03:54 PM

Ron, It is my understanding that at EMP in 1981 Barry Harvey took over the responsibilities of Gord's 'Manager' from Gord's sister, Bev.

Yuri

Dream Street Rose 12-05-2007 03:54 PM

To sum it up very quickly, He was the glue. I will write in a few days about the wonderful person Barry Harvey was for the 30 years of our friendship.

DSR

Jenney 12-05-2007 03:55 PM

Barry acted as Gord's manager, personal assistant, and tour manager. In other organizations that would be three seperate people. He was the "new guy" in the group, having been with Gord for 26 years.
Jenney

Kerstin 12-05-2007 03:57 PM

This is such shocking news! It still seems so unreal, like there must be some mistake... My heartfelt condolences go out to Barry Harvey's family and friends, everyone at EMP and Gordon and the orchestra.
Kerstin

joveski 12-05-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM (Post 131981)
I never encountered Mr. Harvey, but have only seen kind mention of him during my time here on corfid.

same here... RIP

Gitchigumee 12-05-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM (Post 131981)
I never encountered Mr. Harvey, but have only seen kind mention of him during my time here on corfid. I plead ignorance, but perhaps someone could give an idea of his responsibilities in the Lightfoot enterprise.

He was the "behind the scenes, make sure everything goes smoothly, and make sure everyone else is taken care of" person. I am sure Gordon and the guys are brokenhearted.

I only met him once, but I will never forget. When he heard me talking to Gord about the fact that I had visited Orillia last summer, it caught Barry's ear and he told me that he, too, was from Orillia, and we shared a few words about how beautiful the city is, the lake, the parks, and the area in general. He struck me as a very "home town boy." I am sure he touched many lives in Orillia.

talbot10 12-05-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenney (Post 131959)
It is with great sadness that I learned this morning of the death of Barry Harvey. He died unexpectedly yesterday. I believe he was Gordon's manager for approx. 20 years. My condolences go out to his family, EMP, Gordon and the band.
Jenney

Terribly sad news today about Barry. I will keep him and his family and friends in my prayers. I only met him a few times briefly, mostly just to thank him for letting me backstage. He was always a gentleman.
Bill

BILLW 12-05-2007 09:41 PM

What a bummer ! Heartfelt condolences to everyone. A tragic loss to our extended 'family' of which he was a great big part. He is in a better place, which is good for him, but very, very hard on those left behind. His family, friends and all of us mourning here are in my prayers. What can one say at a time like this ?

Peace be with you Barry. You are missed and won't be forgotten.

B

Bill 12-05-2007 10:55 PM

If it is not to presumptuous, could the website have a tribute area for him to help educate everyone to his bio, his huge contribution as a manager and human, and maybe some shared pics?

charlene 12-05-2007 11:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Barry Harvey - centre-
from CHUM radio's 50th anniv.party at Toronto city hall in june 2007..
making sure everything is A-OK for The Man..
and July 2005 at Mariposa/Orillia-
walking The Man to his parking spot..
and Pennsylvania 2002 - with some of his admirers.

jj 12-06-2007 01:03 AM

so much life ahead, yet what a life full of experiences he must have had... deflating news

char, that 3rd photo of you, bru, susan, (looks like) nanci and he must be such a treasure

recently I came across quite a closeup of his large smile alongside a fan, but cannot find url

although so sudden, one can only hope he was in the warm company of loved ones when he passed on...shall be thinking of Barry, family, friends come Sunday, even moreso than now

memories of the post-concert social following the Hamilton comeback concert are real gems right now - Barry's vitality was contagious, he appeared so happy for Gordon that night

thanks for sharing, char...when i read word from wayne earlier i didn't quite believe it til i came here and read jenney's post....my condolences, gals, i realize you and other longtime fans interacted often over the years - jimmy

jj 12-06-2007 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Street Rose (Post 131983)
To sum it up very quickly, He was the glue. I will write in a few days about the wonderful person Barry Harvey was for the 30 years of our friendship.

DSR

that would be wonderful, dsr... I'd savour shared anecdotes even moreso than a full bio or more pics

one that ressonates at the front of my mind right now is when I asked at one point if he managed any other folk or roots type artists...

there was an awkward silence then he looked at me like i was insane and replied, something like, "manage FOLK? ...hey, this Gord gig just sort of landed on me from his sis... I'M into heavy ROCK!!"

that really busted my gut and for a good few seconds I'm sure all my remaining teeth were showing

again, sorry for your loss ...bring it all on if and when you feel like it

charlene 12-06-2007 04:03 AM

from the Toronto Star:

HARVEY, Barry

HARVEY, Barry William Suddenly in Pickering on Tuesday, December 4, 2007, Barry, loving husband of Petra and loving father and best friend of Sarah and Ryan. Brother of Anne, and Jim and Debbie. Predeceased by his parents William and Margaret Harvey. Friends may call at the PINE HILLS VISITATION, CHAPEL & RECEPTION CENTRE, 625 Birchmount Rd. (at St. Clair Ave. East, 416-267-8229) on Friday, December 7 from 7-9 p.m. and Saturday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. A service to commemorate Barry's life will be held in the chapel on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. with a reception to follow at Pine Hills.

a guest book is at:
http://www.torontostarclassifieds.co...&isBrowse=true

charlene 12-06-2007 04:30 AM

Another mid-morning sleepless night;
jj- I too laffed when Barry told me of his love for ROCK - hard rock music when I spoke with him about being so lucky to hear Lightfoot music in so many places and so often over the years!
Yes that night in Hamilton was so special and he (and the band) all seemed so proud of Gord and happy to be back performing.
He had to be tough at times and he always tried (and succeeded) to do the best for Gord, the band and ultimately the fans.

I think I'll always laff when I remember how he was at Mariposa this year during that terrible rain and lightning..how he kept coming up the side stairs to stage level, watching Gord, running his hands thru his hair, coming back up with a guitar case and standing there, it seemed he was willing Gord to leave, to get the hell out of there..He'd leave and be gone for a few minutes and then he'd be right there again and even from the distance away that I was it seemed he was being so protective of Gord and the others. He had his shoulders hunched and he'd turn and look up at the lightning and head backstage again when it was clear that no one was going anywhere.. yet he kept trying..

I'll also remember his and Anne's bafflement (much like mine) regarding the phone call that Gord was going to make to me...we all had a chuckle about it but were still baffled..

It will be a very different concert when next I attend one...that familiar fellow rushing around doing a hundred things, talking to a hundred people before and after the show and from what I always saw with the fans and expereinced myself, he was always polite and a gentleman. Sometimes hard to get a smile from but he was doing a monumental job with a myriad of unknown surprises on a constant basis..he was always scanning around watching it all, assessing the comings and goings of everyone and making sure that the fans experienced the finest show he could give us via the music and talents of the band and Gord when they set foot on the stage.

In the last few years I had said thank you to him in person and I'd sent cards to both him and Anne at the office to express my thanks for their diligence, talents and hard work. I hope he knew that we all understand and gave thanks for all he did to bring us Gordon Lightfoot onstage and in recordings and other appearances for us for so many years.
His loss is huge to the EMP family but immeasurable to his family.
My thoughts are with them at this terribly sad time.

Gord H 12-06-2007 07:35 AM

This is a shock to say the least!! There is not much more I can add that hasn't already been said except for the fact I remember when I met him for the first time and he asked me what my name was and I told him it was Gord, he just laughed his head off and said " that's an easy name to remember!!"

My condolences to his family and Gord Lighfoot his band and the office staff at EMP :(

Borderstone 12-06-2007 10:39 AM

I only met the man once. Barry was the gentleman outside the concert in January who controlled the meet and greet. He was the one who helped me choose the two LP's Gord autographed,Early Lightfoot & Sit Down Young Stranger... and was the very one who snapped the picture of Gordon and I together.

So,for helping me out and for helping Gordon all these years,I thank him. I know he shall rest in peace. My heart goes out to his family and all who were close to him. I know Gordon is surely taking this hard. Keep all of these folks in your prayers everyone.

Gitchigumee 12-06-2007 12:27 PM

Oh my gosh, reading Borderstone's post, I just realized, BARRY was the one who took the photo of me and Gord which I have framed and which is sitting on my desk amongst my family photos and which I am looking at RIGHT THIS MOMENT as I sit at my desk typing this message. Oh my gosh. I know I told you so that night, Barry, but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You cannot imagine how precious that photo is to me...and how that one tiny moment in your life--of patience, diligence (the flash wasn't working) and kindness--means to me. And now you're gone...

catrinka 12-06-2007 01:17 PM

I would like to extend my condolences to Barry's family, friends, band members, business associates and the people on this forum who have known him. It is obvious that he will be remembered with fondness by all.

While I do not recollect meeting Barry, I'm sure he was present during the times I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet Gordon Lightfoot backstage. When I first encountered his name, it was shortly after the original(?) LightHead group was formed. I thought, "Who's this guy? He seems to be overly protective of Gord! Doesn't he understand how much Gord means to all his fans?" Well, I soon realized that his role in Gord's life was more than just as a manager...that he was also a close friend and had the difficult role of balancing accessibility with privacy.

As I sit here contemplating how Barry touched my life, it strikes me that he was pretty much responsible for allowing Yuri and me to meet so many wonderful people who share our love of Gordon's music. By granting us the opportunity to gather with other LightHeads, we have been given the gift of friends and (long lost) family, shared our troubles with people who care and celebrated the success of others. What better legacy can there be than to have had so much affect upon so many people?

There are some in this forum who have known Barry for a long time. My heart goes out to you in this time of loss. Please continue to share your memories and photos of him with those of us who did not know him so well! It is in the recollection that he will continue to be amongst us.