Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Live 8-Toronto/Barrie-Lightfoot blurb in paper today (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=13649)

charlene 06-30-2005 08:38 AM

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1119434671199

Gordon Lightfoot: The Canadian folk legend is performing again after recovering from a serious illness. Anyone who doesn't feel a tingle go up their spine to the opening words of "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" should probably check their passport for country of origin. Lightfoot was in fine form during a recent string of sold-out shows at Massey Hall.

Ways to enjoy LIVE 8 at home:
Number 4 of list:
Wave a Canadian Flag when Gordon Lightfoot hits the stage.

charlene 06-30-2005 08:38 AM

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1119434671199

Gordon Lightfoot: The Canadian folk legend is performing again after recovering from a serious illness. Anyone who doesn't feel a tingle go up their spine to the opening words of "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" should probably check their passport for country of origin. Lightfoot was in fine form during a recent string of sold-out shows at Massey Hall.

Ways to enjoy LIVE 8 at home:
Number 4 of list:
Wave a Canadian Flag when Gordon Lightfoot hits the stage.

Borderstone 06-30-2005 07:18 PM

Funny,you think he'd be the first artist mentioned. I guess times in Canada (like anywhere)march on and move on.

Janie 06-30-2005 11:23 PM

Does anyone know what time approximately, Gord is performing on July 2?

Sure I'd like to hear some of the other acts but knowing when it wil be Gord's turn may save about 8 hours of viewing.
Thanks!

hkusam 06-30-2005 11:23 PM

Does anyone know what time approximately, Gord is performing on July 2?

Sure I'd like to hear some of the other acts but knowing when it wil be Gord's turn may save about 8 hours of viewing.
Thanks!

Auburn Annie 07-01-2005 11:29 AM

Here's a general schedule of all the Live 8 concerts from the Toronto Globe & Mail.

Friday, July 1, 2005 Page R26

Here, a blow-by-blow of the coverage planned for broadcast on CTV tomorrow.

7 a.m. Concert footage beams in from around the world, chiefly at this hour from Johannesburg. Cut to the crews setting up for Live 8 Canada at Park Place in Barrie, Ont.

8 a.m. Tokyo concert ends. Berlin show kicks off; performers in this city include Audioslave, Green Day, Chris de Burgh, Brian Wilson, A-Ha, Roxy Music and Crosby, Stills & Nash.

8:30 a.m. London concert starts with Paul McCartney and U2 singing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Other London performers include Elton John, Pink Floyd, Robbie Williams, Madonna, Sting, Annie Lennox, REM, Coldplay, Dido, Mariah Carey, Joss Stone, Scissor Sisters, Keane, Snoop Dog, Travis and The Who.

9 a.m. Gates open at Park Place for Live 8 Canada.

9:30 a.m.Rome concert begins. Performers here include Faith Hill, Tim McGraw and Zucchero.

10 a.m. Paris concert begins; performers include Shakira, Andrea Bocelli, Youssou N'Dour, The Cure and Johnny Halliday.

11 a.m. Hosts Dan Aykroyd and Tom Green launch Live 8 Canada. Nine hours of tunes follow from African Guitar Summit, Barenaked Ladies, Blue Rodeo, Bruce Cockburn, Bryan Adams, The Bachman Cummings Band, Deep Purple, Dobacaracol and K'Naan, Gordon Lightfoot, Great Big Sea, Jann Arden, Les Trois Accords, Motley Crüe, Our Lady Peace, Jet, Sam Roberts, Simple Plan, The Tragically Hip, Tom Cochrane, Celine Dion and, the show closer, Neil Young.

Noon. From Philadelphia, actor Will Smith leads a global "click moment" -- concertgoers snap their fingers every three seconds to represent the time it takes for another child to die from poverty.

Philadelphia's concert begins; performers here include Destiny's Child, Alicia Keys, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Sarah McLachlan, Stevie Wonder, Will Smith, Def Leppard and P. Diddy.

12:45 p.m. Bob Geldof makes a speech.

2 p.m. Johannesburg concert ends.

3 p.m. Moscow and London concerts end.

4 p.m. Rome concert ends.

5 p.m. Berlin and Paris concerts end.

6 p.m. Philadelphia concert ends.

7:30 p.m. Live 8 Canada's finale with Neil Young.

8 p.m. CTV recaps the greatest hits of the day, with an extended compendium of star appearances and favourite acts.

Auburn Annie 07-01-2005 11:29 AM

Here's a general schedule of all the Live 8 concerts from the Toronto Globe & Mail.

Friday, July 1, 2005 Page R26

Here, a blow-by-blow of the coverage planned for broadcast on CTV tomorrow.

7 a.m. Concert footage beams in from around the world, chiefly at this hour from Johannesburg. Cut to the crews setting up for Live 8 Canada at Park Place in Barrie, Ont.

8 a.m. Tokyo concert ends. Berlin show kicks off; performers in this city include Audioslave, Green Day, Chris de Burgh, Brian Wilson, A-Ha, Roxy Music and Crosby, Stills & Nash.

8:30 a.m. London concert starts with Paul McCartney and U2 singing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Other London performers include Elton John, Pink Floyd, Robbie Williams, Madonna, Sting, Annie Lennox, REM, Coldplay, Dido, Mariah Carey, Joss Stone, Scissor Sisters, Keane, Snoop Dog, Travis and The Who.

9 a.m. Gates open at Park Place for Live 8 Canada.

9:30 a.m.Rome concert begins. Performers here include Faith Hill, Tim McGraw and Zucchero.

10 a.m. Paris concert begins; performers include Shakira, Andrea Bocelli, Youssou N'Dour, The Cure and Johnny Halliday.

11 a.m. Hosts Dan Aykroyd and Tom Green launch Live 8 Canada. Nine hours of tunes follow from African Guitar Summit, Barenaked Ladies, Blue Rodeo, Bruce Cockburn, Bryan Adams, The Bachman Cummings Band, Deep Purple, Dobacaracol and K'Naan, Gordon Lightfoot, Great Big Sea, Jann Arden, Les Trois Accords, Motley Crüe, Our Lady Peace, Jet, Sam Roberts, Simple Plan, The Tragically Hip, Tom Cochrane, Celine Dion and, the show closer, Neil Young.

Noon. From Philadelphia, actor Will Smith leads a global "click moment" -- concertgoers snap their fingers every three seconds to represent the time it takes for another child to die from poverty.

Philadelphia's concert begins; performers here include Destiny's Child, Alicia Keys, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Sarah McLachlan, Stevie Wonder, Will Smith, Def Leppard and P. Diddy.

12:45 p.m. Bob Geldof makes a speech.

2 p.m. Johannesburg concert ends.

3 p.m. Moscow and London concerts end.

4 p.m. Rome concert ends.

5 p.m. Berlin and Paris concerts end.

6 p.m. Philadelphia concert ends.

7:30 p.m. Live 8 Canada's finale with Neil Young.

8 p.m. CTV recaps the greatest hits of the day, with an extended compendium of star appearances and favourite acts.

Don Quixote 07-01-2005 12:24 PM

B'Stone, if you take a look, there's no diss to GL. The acts were listed alphabetically (although, curiously enough, by first name).
DQ

charlene 07-01-2005 08:13 PM

gord could be on anytime between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. july 2.
no performance schedule has been printed for the Barrie show.

charlene 07-01-2005 08:13 PM

gord could be on anytime between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. july 2.
no performance schedule has been printed for the Barrie show.

Johanna 07-02-2005 10:07 AM

http://www.live8live.com/

user 07-02-2005 10:07 AM

http://www.live8live.com/

Auburn Annie 07-04-2005 10:13 AM

Excerpt from post-Live8 Globe and Mail article:

"...Following Deep Purple and the African Guitar Summit, Blue Rodeo drifted into jam-band spaciness, showing yet again how ideally suited they are to an outdoor summer stage. Later, when Gordon Lightfoot walked on stage, the audience was as quiet and deferential as a crowd of 35,000 could be. (By day's end, Cohl reportedly said attendance was closer to 40,000.)

"I was providing an interlude between the people who were rocking the place out," Lightfoot said smiling backstage. "Believe me, I got here when Deep Purple got on and were rocking, and also Blue Rodeo. I knew that I would be playing a quiet set.'"

Auburn Annie 07-04-2005 10:13 AM

Excerpt from post-Live8 Globe and Mail article:

"...Following Deep Purple and the African Guitar Summit, Blue Rodeo drifted into jam-band spaciness, showing yet again how ideally suited they are to an outdoor summer stage. Later, when Gordon Lightfoot walked on stage, the audience was as quiet and deferential as a crowd of 35,000 could be. (By day's end, Cohl reportedly said attendance was closer to 40,000.)

"I was providing an interlude between the people who were rocking the place out," Lightfoot said smiling backstage. "Believe me, I got here when Deep Purple got on and were rocking, and also Blue Rodeo. I knew that I would be playing a quiet set.'"

delron 07-05-2005 06:57 AM

Did the CTV broadcast or any other Canadian TV channel show the entire Gordon Lightfoot gig ? If yes, I hope somebody was smart enough to record this, as there is no guarantee, that any of the later official releases will include the whole set.
Just watched the AOL webcast in dial-up quality.
everything is now directly accesable, sorted by artist and songs.
http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_...philly_toronto
I was very impressed with Gordon's performance, even in this very reduced image and sound quality.

Gunter 07-05-2005 06:57 AM

Did the CTV broadcast or any other Canadian TV channel show the entire Gordon Lightfoot gig ? If yes, I hope somebody was smart enough to record this, as there is no guarantee, that any of the later official releases will include the whole set.
Just watched the AOL webcast in dial-up quality.
everything is now directly accesable, sorted by artist and songs.
http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_...philly_toronto
I was very impressed with Gordon's performance, even in this very reduced image and sound quality.