Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fav Lightfoot tribute (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=14010)

peterpeter 08-29-2004 04:04 AM

Ronnie Hawkins recent comment about Gord being stronger than a field of garlic got me thinking. What have other artists, performers said about Gord? Here's one of my favorites. It is by the Guess Who and is actually in a song entitled " Lightfoot " from the album " Wheatfield Soul ".:

And Lightfoot
Edwardian, suddenly striped
His hair blondish and poetic
He is less than vinyl perfect
His foot is a precise anchor for the husk and vibrance of his voice

He is the image of Alberta
The side street near Chicago
The grim beauty of Toronto

He is an artist
He is an artist
He is an artist painting sistine masterpieces of pine and fur and backwoods

I especially like the last line I quoted. What a perfect description!

Anyone else have any good tributes or quotes?

Rick

------------------
On my second cup of coffee and I still can't face the day

RickC 08-29-2004 04:04 AM

Ronnie Hawkins recent comment about Gord being stronger than a field of garlic got me thinking. What have other artists, performers said about Gord? Here's one of my favorites. It is by the Guess Who and is actually in a song entitled " Lightfoot " from the album " Wheatfield Soul ".:

And Lightfoot
Edwardian, suddenly striped
His hair blondish and poetic
He is less than vinyl perfect
His foot is a precise anchor for the husk and vibrance of his voice

He is the image of Alberta
The side street near Chicago
The grim beauty of Toronto

He is an artist
He is an artist
He is an artist painting sistine masterpieces of pine and fur and backwoods

I especially like the last line I quoted. What a perfect description!

Rick

------------------
On my second cup of coffee and I still can't face the day

Borderstone 09-01-2004 07:09 PM

I don't recall any artists off-hand that have given verbal tribute to him besides dylan and other folk acts like Peter Paul & Mary,Ian & Sylvia and Dylan.

I know he sometimes gets mentions on sitcoms like Becker and Third Rock From The Sun. http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

Otherwise,I know of none. http://www.corfid.com/ubb/cool.gif Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." ;) - Borderstone

Boat House AKA member 09-01-2004 09:33 PM

He was mentioned on Seinfeld. Elaine said she loved his voice but thought his name was Edmund Fitzgerald because of the song, and Jerry correcting her.

As for songs, the version of Song for a Winter's Night on the tributue album Beautiful was fantastic. Can't remember who did it though

Kilgore 09-01-2004 09:33 PM

He was mentioned on Seinfeld. Elaine said she loved his voice but thought his name was Edmund Fitzgerald because of the song, and Jerry correcting her.

As for songs, the version of Song for a Winter's Night on the tributue album Beautiful was fantastic. Can't remember who did it though

Boat House AKA member 09-01-2004 09:34 PM

And of course If You Could Read My Mind was played over the credits for the movie Wonderland

Kilgore 09-01-2004 09:34 PM

And of course If You Could Read My Mind was played over the credits for the movie Wonderland

LSH 09-01-2004 09:37 PM

Bob Dylan said (I'm paraphrasing here, don't remember exactly where I saw this) that when he heard a Lightfoot song he wished it would never end. He's has also been quoted as saying he wished that he'd written For Lovin' Me..

stationmaster 09-01-2004 10:38 PM

I think this is a great tribute to Gord!

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:
This is a great song. Just heard it for the first time today! http://www.aengusfinnan.com/mp3/Aeng..._Lightfoot.mp3

"Lightfoot"

(Lyrics & Music: Aengus Finnan)

On the road that lies before us, from sea to shining sea
There’s a voice in the distance that beckons “follow me”

And it’s there within the forest, and beneath the silver moon
And it whistles in the wires with the memory of a tune

Well you tread this country Lightfoot, and you took a mighty stand
When you saw in her a beauty and you held her rugged hand

From her shield and her shoreline, you gathered in rhyme
Tender words that told her story, they linger yet in time

Ever will this land remember
Ever will your name be strong
Ever will the true north ring
With the glory of your song

Through the wide and rolling prairies, to the lights of Massey Hall
You sang about a people, dreamers one and all

And you climbed the highest mountains, felt the early morning rain
You traveled to the southland, but came back home again

Long gone, the Riverboat and Yorkville Days
Long gone, the lines the navies laid
Long gone, lovers and the carefree highway
Still here are the tracks you made

Ever will Canada
Sing the glory of your song

[This message has been edited by stationmaster (edited July 04, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by stationmaster (edited September 01, 2004).]

charlene 09-02-2004 08:09 AM

Aengus adds this in the liner notes of BEAUTIFUL -
"Lightfoot...is there a more evocative Canadian name? Here's to the man who sought the quiet melody of the true north, and sang our lives with such poetry and passion, such tenderness and grit, such sorrow and pride. Here's to the man who stirred the imagination of weary waitresses, rambling workers, young lovers, and dusty academics alike. And here's to the man whose voice on a record player filled at least one kid with dreams that he too might one day travel the troubadour's road. Thanks for the songs Gord!"

charlene 09-02-2004 08:09 AM

Aengus adds this in the liner notes of BEAUTIFUL -
"Lightfoot...is there a more evocative Canadian name? Here's to the man who sought the quiet melody of the true north, and sang our lives with such poetry and passion, such tenderness and grit, such sorrow and pride. Here's to the man who stirred the imagination of weary waitresses, rambling workers, young lovers, and dusty academics alike. And here's to the man whose voice on a record player filled at least one kid with dreams that he too might one day travel the troubadour's road. Thanks for the songs Gord!"

Sundown17 09-02-2004 08:50 AM

quote:Originally posted by RickC:

Rick

[/B]

On the tv program "Inside the Actors Studio", when the host, James Lipton, asked Billy Joel about paying homage to certain songwriters' style when he wrote his song "Downeaster Alexa" Billy replied, "Yes, I was thinking of Pete Seeger...Pete Seeger, Gordon Lightfoot."

Not exactly a verbose tribute...but a tribute just the same. http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

Diane

[This message has been edited by Sundown17 (edited September 02, 2004).]

Boat House AKA member 09-05-2004 02:02 PM

Saw an interview with Ron Sexsmith yesterday. Paul McCartney has called him his favorite new songwriter

In the interview Sexsmith said that when he began writing he wanted to write songs like Gordon Lightfoot

Kilgore 09-05-2004 02:02 PM

Saw an interview with Ron Sexsmith yesterday. Paul McCartney has called him his favorite new songwriter

In the interview Sexsmith said that when he began writing he wanted to write songs like Gordon Lightfoot