Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   Small Talk (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your best ever concert of any artist? (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=16181)

Frank v 10-21-2000 11:37 AM

Dear all,
What is the best ever concert, of any musical artist.You have attended.

Frank.

Tom 10-22-2000 01:47 AM

The Elvis Presley New Year's Eve concert at the Pontiac Stadium on Wednesday night 12-31-75/01-01-76! http://www.corfid.com/ubb/eek.gif
The Silverdome had just opened & my mom bought 6 tickets at the last minute around Christmas as a present. Since it was so late, the seats were not together...3 pairs of seats all over this massive stadium! Over 60,000 attended the sell-out. (Yes, it was a sell-out, Col. Parker put a limit on the seats available) The traffic jam getting to the stadium was unreal. I was a very impressionable 15 year old. I remember I had broke my ankle during gym at school so I had to attend the show wearing a cast http://www.corfid.com/ubb/frown.gif I sat with my best friend at the time & shared binoculars. It was the first concert I had ever attended, and I was excited. The ticket said show starts at 8:30pm, but The King didn't arrive until about 11:00pm. The circular stage was at the 50 yard line, about 25 feet high "Elvis in the round"! The band was at a lower stage about 20 feet up. It was really cold that night too! Elvis was way overweight, but his voice was in top shape. After the 2001 intro, the crowd went bananas as he sang "See See Rider". I've never seen so many flashbulbs go off to this day! He sang "And I Love You So" and the best version of "Polk Salad Annie" I have ever seen. My friend & I were fighting over the binoculars when Elvis started doing karate moves...he put down the microphone & started jammin! Unfortunately, he ripped his jumpsuit in the process & had to leave the stage! http://www.corfid.com/ubb/redface.gif The Stamps did a quick version of "Sweet Sweet Spirit" and Elvis was back...quipping that he was a "quick-change artist" lol After introductions he sang "My Way" and "Love Me Tender". Then it was countdown time....10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..,HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Elvis sang "Auld Lang Syne" as thousands of balloons fell from the balconey. He then did a terrific version of "How Great Thou Art" and with it now being 1976, the USA 200 year Birthday "Bicentennial Celebration" he sang "America the Beautiful" to a standing ovation! He finished the show around 12:30am with a short line of "Wooden Heart" and then "Can't Help Falling in Love". I could not believe the hero worship at the end of the concert. Elvis got down on his knees & put his hands up in fists & the place became unglued! It was a fun night, I remember being one of the last to leave after finding everyone again (my sister was on my brothers shoulders & almost got a scarf! http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif). As we were leaving the PA system started to play the intro 2001 again as a check, so I'm sure RCA recorded the show but has never been released. The reviews were good ("ELVIS STILL SHAKES'EM UP" Detroit News) and it was the best New Years Eve I've ever had!

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited March 07, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited March 09, 2001).]

sundownbuff 10-22-2000 10:19 PM

Two concerts I have stayed in my mind as the best. The first one was in the mid 60's at Kleinhann's Music Hall in Buffalo and Johnny Mathis was performing. The orchestra was wonderful as was Johnny. The other concert was at the Majestic Theater on August 6th of this year. Our seats were wonderful, and I had the priviledge of meeting Gordon Lightfoot.

Mary Ann 10-23-2000 01:07 PM

There have been only two concerts that I have paid to see and those were in '90 and '95 when I went to see Gord at Chastain Park. However there are a slew of concerts I have worked that rate right up there- Dolly Parton, boy can she work an audience! And there's always Elton John. He has a knack of sounding exactly in concert the way he sounds on an album- which IMHO is not easily accomplished. Then there is this other artist who always brings to mind of a very entertaining evening- and that person is Alice Cooper. Strange as this may seem, he put on a great stage show, not just up there singing. Cher could take lessons from that one! Hers was one of the worst I have ever seen. Most of the time allotted to her was taken up with video clips and costume changes- not worth the big bucks she charged for tickets.

Mary Ann

Bill 10-27-2000 07:37 AM

Karla Bonoff back in 1979 at the University of Missouri - Columbia. Emmylou Harris in 1978 at Centre College in Kentucky. Doc Watson, Poor David's Pub mid 80s Dallas, Leo Kottke - also at Poor David's, and Gordon Lightfoot at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth late 80s (I was on the front row). But the best -- Paul McCartney at Texas Stadium 1989...his documentary segued into the live show...very cool. Back in the USSR had a jet engine sound fly in one end of the stadium and out the other. One man and a guitar on "Yesterday" holding 55 thousand people spellbound. Wow.

Pilatus 11-13-2000 08:40 PM

Phil Collins at The Mark in Moline IL
summer, 1994

charlene 11-14-2000 12:57 PM

Vince Gill-Ontario Place,Toronto
Jimmy Buffett - Toronto
Neil Diamond - Toronto
Electric Light Orchestra-Massey Hall - Toronto
RUSH - Toronto
Don McLean
Burton Cummings-Ontario Place - mid 70's
John Berry/Martina McBride-Massey Hall
Johnny Cash-Massey Hall -
James Taylor - Massey Hall
Meat Loaf - Massey Hall
very diverse, so many more - never attended a bad concert!
ALL OF GORD - MASSEY HALL - since mid 70's!
Char

2Much2Lose 11-17-2000 07:21 PM

In 1972, George McGovern was running for president under the theme of uniting the country (divided by Vietnam). He held a political rally that was a concert by three great artists/groups. Dionne Warwick (who was near the peak of her career), plus a reunion performance by Peter Paul & Mary (who had not perform together for a few years before that), capped by a reunion of Simon & Garfunkel, who had gone separate ways in about 1971 and had not performed together since then.

Another great concert was in North Carolina by a performer named Mike Cross, primarily a local talent who has about nine or ten albums now. Cross plays four or five stringed instruments, including a great country fiddle, and he sings a lot of humorous songs. His best known song is the one about "the Scotsman" and what he doesn't wear beneath the kilt.

Anyone ever hear of him?

leboeuf@csolve.net 01-07-2001 04:06 PM

My top five would go in this order(countingdown):
5. Don Mclean at the Mariposa Festival, Molson Park, Barrie, Ontario 1981

4. Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall(Cold On The Shoulder tour) 1975 or 76 (can't remember)

3. Lightfoot and Simon and Garfunkel (double bill) at the Skydome, Toronto (I believe around 1995)

2. Yes (Union tour) at the Skydome, Toronto,1994 (all members of Yes from all the years on staqe at once)

1. Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here tour) at Ivor Wynne Stadium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 1975 (the first and last rock concert ever held at this venue)

Westernstar9 04-01-2001 06:37 AM

quote:Originally posted by 2Much2Lose:
In 1972, George McGovern was running for president under the theme of uniting the country (divided by Vietnam). He held a political rally that was a concert by three great artists/groups. Dionne Warwick (who was near the peak of her career), plus a reunion performance by Peter Paul & Mary (who had not perform together for a few years before that), capped by a reunion of Simon & Garfunkel, who had gone separate ways in about 1971 and had not performed together since then.

Another great concert was in North Carolina by a performer named Mike Cross, primarily a local talent who has about nine or ten albums now. Cross plays four or five stringed instruments, including a great country fiddle, and he sings a lot of humorous songs. His best known song is the one about "the Scotsman" and what he doesn't wear beneath the kilt.

Anyone ever hear of him?

Yes. And as I recall the picture of him I saw featured him with a mischievious(sp) grin. A good "Travispicker" and singer as well. I don't recall what label he recorded for but it was along the lines of Kaliedescope or Vanguard.

------------------

Westernstar9 04-01-2001 06:41 AM

Aside from Lightfoot and Merle Haggard, I would count Paul Simon's concert at the Berkeley Community Theatre in 1975 as among the top concerts I saw. "Still Crazy After All These Years" had just been released, and as an extra touch Simon's musicians included a string quartet. At some point in the program Art Garfunkel emerged from the curtains to a standing ovation. The two of them sang "The Boxer" "My Little Town" and a few others even though Paul had done them solo. He then stood up smiled at Paul and waved to the audience as he left.

amy 04-09-2001 03:20 PM

I used to live on the Hill at Alpine Valley in East troy WI. My number 1 favorite concert was the Further festival with Bob Wier and whoever else was playing in August 2000. It blew my mind, maybe casue i was missing Jerry since my second favorite concert which was his last in July 1995. My other favorite concert was Meatlaof at the Papst Stage at Summerfest. somewhere around 91.

I haven't seen gordon yet, but i hope that he is in my top 3 list i have here. Meat Laof can handle it, casue jerry isn't moving http://www.corfid.com/ubb/redface.gif) I see gord on the 25th of this month. WOO HOO.

GregM 06-22-2001 03:30 PM

The Beatles in Portland, OR., August 1965. What an event.....I never will forget it.

janis 11-18-2002 09:29 PM

My best ever concert was Dave Mallett in Altamount, NY this past Friday. He played with a long time bass player/friend, Mike Burd, in an old Masonic Hall (wooden floors, high ceiling, lots of resonance). I've seen David perform dozens of times, and this was the best!
See for yourself at davidmallett.com.
Enjoy, Joan

jaja 11-23-2002 11:36 PM

Ferron, last year in a small community hall in sebastopol california. funny, charming, fantastic music, lively. This area north of San Francisco has great music much of the year, this was special because it was basically in my back yard.

Gord 11-24-2002 05:03 AM

Other than Gordon Lightfoot??? Jann Arden! http://www.corfid.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.corfid.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.corfid.com/ubb/biggrin.gif She's a cutie besides having great talent!

Rob1956 11-30-2002 06:30 PM

Please tell me more about the Simon&Garfunkel/Lightfoot double bill. I never thought Paul Simon and Lightfoot were in the same room together! Any songwriting enthusiast would go nuts!

Wes Steele 03-18-2003 04:20 PM

Other than Gordon Lightfoot?

James Brown, Front Row Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio... Second show didn't start until 11:30PM...People got mad that JB wasn't singing his old time favorites...People walked out...JB kept singin'....When the concert started I was sitting in the last row...At 4:00AM concert was still going on...JB WAS NOW singing his old time favorites...maybe less than 100 people in theatre.. I was NOW in the front row shaking hands with "the hardest working man in show business" as he was singing "Please, Please, Please.... Band was SWEATING like they just ran a marathon....

I came home as the sun was rising....

Wes

Cathy 03-18-2003 10:17 PM

quote:Originally posted by 2Much2Lose:
His best known song is the one about "the Scotsman" and what he doesn't wear beneath the kilt.

Anyone ever hear of him?

Oh yeah. Something like, "I don't know where you've been, my friend, but I think you won first prize."

Cathy

Borderstone 05-29-2003 03:06 PM

Well,second only to Gord's Aug. - '02 concert here in Phoenix,I'd say the next greatest was KISS' '96 reunion tour,which oddly enough was also in August. Having had very little interest in them as a kid (in the '70's I was more into the Osmonds and other "safe" groups and singers for kids under 12.) After I got older and somewhat more sophisticated in my ideas of good music I liked them a lot more. So,getting to see the originals in make up was a one and only chance for me and it was very exciting to get to share the experience with my 2 older brothers who had gone to their shows when they were young. My brother Frank,who's the biggest fan,basically sat trasfixed on the show and the look on his face was as if he had gone back 17 to 18 years in time and was seeing a '78/'79 show. Safe to say,he had the most fun.////// Now,the worst concert? Try this,Foreigner and The Doobie Brothers on the same bill?! http://www.corfid.com/ubb/confused.gif Whoever thought this up must have been nuts! 1st,instead of Foreigner opening the show,The Doob.'s did! They've been around a heck of a lot longer than Foreigner and personally I really don't think their 2 very different kinds of music go together well. It was great to watch The Bros. sing and play their songs because it sounded almost like the then 20 year old recordings. Foreigner on the other hand...well,Lou Gramm just doesn't have it anymore or the outdoor acoustics just don't agree with his voice! My brother and I left that part of the show after about 2 or 3 songs! What a let down! Anyway,those are my worst and best. It's been the B! Peace it Up! http://www.corfid.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
Borderstone

wsm2506 05-29-2003 11:13 PM

Now THAT is a TOUGH question!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never had the opportunity to see Gordon live, but for what it is worth:

In no particular order:

-Don McClean; University of Missouri-Rolla, 1974

- Harry Chapin (OH MY GOD!!!); University of Missouri-Columbia, 1975

- Tina Turner; 24/7 Tour; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, 2000.

- Peter,Paul, & Mary / Reunion Tour, Southern Illinios University, 1980

-The Moody Blues; Ft. Wayne,Indiana, 1986

There are more, but not as memorable.

------------------
As long as I'm a ghost; that you can't see.

brink 05-31-2003 10:45 AM

Marty Robbins, What a showman!

christinefrommichigan 06-01-2003 05:08 PM

Eagles: Hell Freezes Over World Tour 95.

Alabama @ the Michigan State Fair in 96.

Vince Gill @ the Palace Summer Fest in 92.

Waylon and Willie @ Pine Knob.

Clint Black and Merle Haggard @ the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Van Halen before Sammy Hagar left.

Reo Speedwagon and Foreigner @ Pine Knob.

The last year of Lilith Fair with Sara Mclauglin.

Still hoping to get a chance to see Johnny Cash. http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

TheWatchman 06-01-2003 05:27 PM

Unfortunately, Johnny Cash stopped touring several years ago due to his illness. Although he still records, he can no longer tour.

That Waylon and Willie concert must have been great. http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

gwen snyder 06-02-2003 10:07 PM

CHRISTINEINMICHIGAN
WAYLON & WILLIE?
Man that must have been the greatest (next to GL). Wow. What a concert that must have been. Man.
GSS
Oh, Lena Horn in a downstairs Pub in London. That woman had an incredible voice back in the 70's.