Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wolf Trap (July 26th) (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=19817)

Tim 07-27-2009 12:07 AM

Wolf Trap (July 26th)

Just wanted to quickly write that the show at Wolf Trap was fantastic. Gord was in great spirits and great voice, and the guys all seemed to be having a good time. When I get more time, I'll post the detailed concert review.

HubbleHugger 07-27-2009 09:34 AM

Re: Wolf Trap (July 26th)

As always it's great to see Gord in concert. But there were a few times his voice got very gravelly and I have no idea if the sound guys turned down the volume on Hangdog Hotel Room, but the for "toe tapper" it's supposed to be, I could barely hear him. IMHO it's really a song he should remove from the show. (And I thought the same thing last year.) But his renditions of If You Could Read My Mind and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald were classic and fantastic.

But to me, it's just not a "great" show if he doesn't sing CRT. In the 35 years I've been seeing him (first was Massey Hall, March, 1974, and I stopped counting the number of times I've seen him at 30) I think this was only the third time he didn't do it. :confused:

charlene 07-27-2009 12:25 PM

If he did The Wreck the night you saw him then he must have done CRT the night before..he's not doing both in one night anymore...that's what he told me in Calgary.If I recall correctly he puts EMR in the mix instead..

Jenney 07-27-2009 01:04 PM

Char, he did both Wreck and CRT in Binghamton. No EMR though. He said it was going to be one or the other that night.

HubbleHugger 07-27-2009 02:14 PM

EMR was in the mix. What really threw me was when he picked up the one 12 string that's tuned for "only" EMR and CRT, and then started playing Ringneck Loon. I don't recall him ever playing that at any show I was at.

charlene 07-27-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenney (Post 153390)
Char, he did both Wreck and CRT in Binghamton. No EMR though. He said it was going to be one or the other that night.

He must have felt he had the 'wind' to do them both...I'd rather hear EMR once in a while...
;)

Tim 07-28-2009 03:32 AM

(Set list is posted at the end if you want to skip the personal observations)

Like many of you, I’ve been attending Gordon concerts as often as personal funding and schedules allowed for the past 3+ decades. Throughout the entire time, Gordon has offered an amazing consistency in style, imagery and band personnel. Gordon Lightfoot has grown from admired artist, musician and poet to having a special, cherished niche in my life. This has also been true for my family. Periodic family reunions include guitar jam sessions that are chock full of Gordon’s music.

Over the past two days prior to this show, my son and I drove 800 miles from St. Louis to Washington DC to spend some special time with family and to meet at a Gordon Lightfoot concert at Wolf Trap in Vienna, Virginia. There were 8 of us in all, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, all to enjoy the music of one who has practically become family over the years.

This is my first visit to Wolf Trap and I see right away that it is perfect for Gordon. Situated in a woodsy setting, one can’t help but have many of Gord’s “Back to Nature” songs resonating in their heads as they approach the amphitheater. This evening’s weather called for a very hot, humid evening with severe thunderstorms. But, as if there was intervention from a higher authority, the skies were calm and there was actually a cooling breeze as we approached the amphitheater. As we approached the amphitheater, I looked down the slope of lawn and pavilion seats to see the stage in its familiar, friendly setup that warms the heart of every Lighthead.

For the last 33 years I’ve come to love seeing the pre-concert stage setup, the position of the stools, microphones, and instruments always reassured me that one of the greatest artists would soon take the stage.

We get to our seats and at about 8 minutes before show time, the guitars begin to come out and the anticipation builds. Gordon has always been very punctual so it did not surprise me that at exactly 8 o’clock the lights went down and the guys came out to applause and took their places. Then out steps Gordon carrying his 12 string, smiling and looking very fit. To thunderous applause he makes a couple bows at stage center. Spontaneously, most of the audience rose to their feet as they continued to applaud his entrance. Gordon clearly appreciated this and the applause would have continued had he not stepped to the mikes and the lovely first strains of “Triangle” fill the evening air.

Not wanting to miss a sound, the audience quickly took their seats and quieted down. Gordon sounded in good voice, the best I’d heard him over the past three years, hitting many of the high notes that he opted out with lower harmony in years past. The volume mix sounds sounded good as well. “Triangle” comes to an end to loud applause. Next come “Cotton Jenny,” “14 Karat Gold,” “Minstrel of the Dawn,” “Never Too Close” and “Let It Ride.” Rick’s bass solo on Let It Ride was really great. Gordon mentions that he is happy to back at Wolf Trap and how much he and the guys “appreciate the work.”

Then, it’s into “Painter Passing Through.” After that was a medley of “Spanish Moss” and “Shadows.” The songs went together well and the transition between the tunes was beautiful.

Next Gord says he wants to dedicate the next song to “everybody out there.” Then he starts into “Beautiful.” This song has always been special to me as it was played at my wedding 28 years ago. But this time, the song took on a new meaning with Gord’s dedication. Some minor lyrical changes made it clear that Gord really meant to offer it to the audience in a statement of love and appreciation of those who love and appreciate him. What a great song!

Back to the 12 string and Gordon plays “Carefree Highway” and then “Hangdog Hotel Room” which was always a favorite of my father’s when he was alive. My brother and I both study Terry’s guitar work through the binoculars taking notes to try to perfect the guitar lead between the 2nd and 3rd verses. Our family really appreciated this one.

Then came the medley that we were all anticipating: “Ribbon of Darkness” and “Sundown.” Our good friends Meg and Rick attended Gord’s concert two nights prior at Chatauqua, NY and, after some encouragement from me, Meg filled in the pause between ROD and “Sundown” by singing out the words of “Over Me” during the pause between those two songs. My brother, son and I planned to do the same here. I could tell that my brother and my son were as nervous as I was as Gord played through “Ribbon of Darkness.” How would the crowd react? More importantly, how would Gord react? The last thing we wanted to do was to disappoint him on a night that was going so well. But we decided to do it. The pause came and we sang out the words “Over Me” to spontaneous laughter and then applause by the crowd. But the night was made when Gord smiled and pointed in our direction, then went into “Sundown.” Judging from the smiles from those around us, I guess it went pretty well. The last song of the first set was “The Watchman’s Gone” where Terry’s leads came through clearly.

Then it was intermission. I took the time to visit another fan in the audience who was wearing the same type shirt as I was from the Massey Hall May 2001 reunion. The wonderful gentleman was Dave who has been on this website before with the signature “Too Much to Lose” but he frequents the website less often now. We had a nice chat, then it was back to my seat for the second half of the show.

Gordon and the guys came back out for the second set to appreciative applause. As it has been in many concerts past, he opened the second set with “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” This time he offered a spoken introduction about the event and the families. The tune was warmly greeted by the audience.

“Wreck” was followed by “Alberta Bound,” another family favorite. As Gord picks up his second 12 string that is on the stage, I expect “Early Morning Rain.” But instead, he asks for loon calls from the audience. There were one or two that were pretty good. At this point I wished my daughter was with me, as she loves all types of birds and can do an excellent loon call. Gordon puts a couple of selected audience members to work, asking for loon calls on the “quiet parts” of this next tune, then it’s into “Ring Necked Loon.” I’ve heard this song many times from the CD but this is the first time live. The effect of the loon calls on this song, in the beautiful woodsy setting of Wolf Trap was really amazing.

Gordon follows with “Don Quixote” and “Waiting for You.” This song featured an eye-catching back drop with red lights. Then, it’s another song that I’ve never heard live: “If Children Had Wings.” I never heard the personal intro before about his kids from his first marriage were living in France when he wrote the song. I liked this song live very much.

Next came my most favorite song in the world: “If You Could Read My Mind.” The guys were phenomenal on this one, as they always are. Loud, long, and appreciative applause on this one.

Then came “Baby Step Back” and then “Restless” which was done wonderfully. Another perfect song for the setting of this venue. Barry’s percussion on this one was superb. Then, Gord explains about his planned meeting with Elvis before he launches into “Early Morning Rain.” Next came another favorite, “Song for a Winters Night” which featured wonderful string work by Mike and his keyboard.

As always, the end of the show comes too soon. The guys stand and walk off to loud applause. Gord bows and waves a couple times and leaves to thunderous, appreciative applause. The guys quickly return with Gord for an encore of “Blackberry Wine.”
Another round of appreciation and bows. Gordon is all smiles as he waves and exits the stage for a final time.

Then the show is over as the lights come up. My family and everyone else around us in the audience are very appreciative of a great show. It’s time to go.

Except, no one told my 16 year old son. For the past four concerts over the last 3 years he was successful at meeting Gordon and the guys after concerts on four straight occasions, all without any special passes or credentials. He was not going to leave without trying here as well. Most of my family has early work on Monday morning and they reluctantly say good night and head to their cars, while I turn and head toward my son who is already talking to the Wolf Trap staff at the side of the theater near the backstage door. (to be continued ………. )

Setlist:

Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14 Karat Gold
Minstrel of the Dawn
Never Too Close
Let It Ride
A Painter Passing Through
Spanish Moss
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
The Watchman’s Gone

Intermission

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Alberta Bound
Ring Necked Loon
Don Quixote
Waiting For You
If Children Had Wings
If You Could Read My Mind
Baby Step Back
Restless
Early Morning Rain
Song for a Winter’s Night

Encore

Blackberry Wine

charlene 07-28-2009 08:03 AM

sounds like an amazing night for you guys!
it's great to hear that gord is sounding so wonderful and feeling good.
we're waiting for part 2...

HubbleHugger 07-28-2009 10:41 AM

Thanks for the set list. This was the first time in a long time I didn't keep pen and paper in hand to do the same. Instead I held my camera. But only a couple of pics turned out "okay".

formerlylavender 07-28-2009 01:35 PM

Glad you all had fun at the show. I love the setting at Wolftrap too - gorgeous. Thanks for posting the report/setlist.

Mike M 07-28-2009 03:14 PM

I too, was at Wolftrappe for the concert, as the below is what I wrote for Folksingers group on Yahoo. It has been a long time since I have been on this site or posted. I was at Wolftrappe for Lightfoot last year too. Like many of you, I have all of his studio CD's, like 22 or so. I too saw a man with the Massey Hall T Shirt, as he had a son with the same type of shirt.

Next concert, Great Big Sea in August.

Mike Marmer

Last night Linda and I saw Gordon Lightfoot again at Wolf Trappe in Vienna, VA, the only Performing Arts Venue, outdoor, run by the National Park Service.

We see him everytime he comes to Wolf Trappe.

We had a great dinner before the show at Clyde's location in Vienna, the place that inspired Bill and Tafty Danoff, to their only one hit, "Afternoon Delight" while eating at the Georgetown, DC location a long time ago.

It was good to see both the pavilion and lawn nearly sold out, as only Jackson Browne, I believe has completely sold out Wolf Trappe this year.

Gordon had his usually 4 piece back up band, as I believe at least two of them go way back with him. I believe Rick Haynes and Terry Clements where there.

He got a standing ovation when he came out.

I think 14 Karat Gold was either the first or second song he sang. Others he sang where Spanish Moss, Don Quixote, Alberta Bond (I think he sang that), Beautiful, Sundown, Carefree Highway, If You Can Read My Mind, Early Morning Rain, Ringneck Loon, A Painter Passing Through, Let It Ride, Triangle, Baby Step Back, If Children Had Wings, Ringneck Loons, Shadows, Hang Dog Hotel Room. The second set started wit the "Wreck Of the Edmund Fitzgerald and he ended the show with Song For A Winter's Night. The encore was Blackberry Wine.

He did mention that he was in Buffalo for a Elvis Presley show and was suppose to meet him after the concert. But when he got back to see him, he was gone. He then sang Early Morning Rain, as I did not know that Presley recorded that, as well as some other Lightfoot songs, he told us.

Before he did If Children Had Wings, he mentioned that he wrote that after divorce number 1 in 1970 happen, as his ex and their two kids moved to France, as he made fun of why they moved to France! But he missed his kids, so he wrote that song for them, as it is on the Endless Wire CD.

For Ringneck Loon, he asked if anyone knew how to do a Loon call,as he got lots of good and bad loon calls from the audience. During the song, some did the Loon call. If I knew he was going to ask for loon calls, I would of brought my loon call thing I have, as the Loon is one of my favorite birds. The Loon has three calls, I would all three. O:)!

Overall it was a great show.

But sadly, his voice is not the same as it was, as we know that age, he is 70 and the medical condition he had, has taken a toll, but it is still fine with me. A couple in front of me, did leave at intermission, as I am sure they where there just for the mega hits he had and had no clue to what was going on with Gordon nor did they probably know anything more about his career before and after the mega hits. Shadows and Salute from the 1980's are two of my favorite CD's. I would go to see Gordon again in a heartbeat no matter his voice.

He did say that he is doing 70 shows this year, as I believe tomorrow he is in PA near Philly.

He did mention, as he did last year, as the days at the Cellar Door in Georgetown are still remembered by him and that he misses John Denver and Harry Chapin who played at Wolf Trappe. I was lucky to see Denver at Wolf Trappe twice, once with a string quartet. I am a big fan of Chapin, but never got to see him perform live, as he died in 1981.

My only complaint about the show is with the people taking cellphone pictures. It is annoying to me, to have this bright light backflash to me. And probably to the performers. My wife told me the lady next to her was texting the whole time during the first half of the show. She did try to conceal the light, but again, it is annoying to see this. I told my wife, I would of told the lady to turn it off. I do not understand people when at a concert, baseball game, etc., they have to be on a phone or texting. If it that important, please stay home. I am sorry that many pay good money for a show and can not enjoy the performance. Are those with the urge to phone that bored? Okay, off the soapbox now.

Great show, looking forward to next year.

Our next concert at Wolf Trappe is Great Big Sea from St. John's, Canada. If you have not heard of Great Big Sea, go to their website. http://www.greatbigsea.com/ Not only is the music great, but I have never been to a "folk" concert with a zillion people jumping up and down waving Canadian flags. LOL Especially when I saw them at Wolf Trappe last year.

Mike Marmer

podunklander 07-28-2009 03:18 PM

Nice review Tim! Thanks :)!!!

Wolf Trap must be a really nice ampitheatre! My cuz lives in VA and had early this year had wanted to go so we could take the whole family.

Cathy 07-28-2009 08:05 PM

I think the only thing that annoyed me at Binghampton was the 30-ish girl sitting in front of me. She sang each song loudly, clapped and bopped around in her seat, probably trying to get Gord to notice her. Fortunately, he didn't even give her a glance.

Cathy

Jenney 07-29-2009 08:57 PM

She was annoying wasn't she? I think she was trying to get the attention of her boyfriend. He was intent on the show, she was intent on getting him to notice her while she was acting "cute". Whaddya wanna bet that was their last date?

Cathy 07-30-2009 01:10 PM

How do you know he was her boyfriend. Maybe they're married. Now I feel sorry for the guy. I think she was trying to get attention from anyone who'd give it to her, including the guys in the band. I didn't see her around afterwards, so I guess her plan backfired. If I had only remembered to bring a tube of superglue... I'd have glued her butt to the seat, and her hands... well, we'll leave that to our twisted imaginations.
Now I have to go check out your web site. I don't remember ever knowing you have one.

Cathy 07-30-2009 01:12 PM

Oh yes. The handbag web site. I remember it now. I think a couple of brain cells just woke up...

Tim 07-31-2009 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, I posted a couple nights ago about the conclusion of the Wolf Trap experience but it got lost in the “point & clickology” of the webpage. I’m sure it was operator error.

Anyway, here we go again. After the Wolf Trap concert, my son & I were fortunate enough to get backstage and wait with about 20 other people for Gord and the guys to come out. During that time, I had the unexpected pleasure of meeting Darrin (sp?) again. He was part of the groups that attended the Massey 1999 and Massey 2001 concerts. I recognized him right away. This time, 8 years later, he had a beautiful wife & son with him. It was really an unexpected benefit making his acquaintance again.

After about 15 minutes, Gord and the guys came out. My son and I got to speak with Barry and Terry first. We met them a couple times over the last couple years and they remembered us, especially my son Tim who is very enthusiastic about everything having to do with Gord and his band. I thanked both Barry and Terry for continuing to come out and provide us fans with such beautiful music with Gordon. As in occasions before, they replied that the pleasure was theirs and that they really appreciated the opportunity to make their living this way and meet the fans.

One thing I noticed that Barry did this night is that when he came on stage with the rest of the guys at the beginning of each set is that he applauds the audience back in appreciation as he makes his way to his seat behind the drums. I found that to be very thoughtful. I found my son Tim, who just got his drivers license this year, exchanging stories with Terry of people they’ve seen driving distracted by cell phone conversations or texting. That was pretty neat, that an accomplished professional like Terry is so down-to-earth and easy to talk to.

After a quick hello to Mike and Rick, we were able to chat with Gordon for a minute. We didn’t ask for autographs, we just wanted to thank him once again for what he does. He brings a lot to this world and I told him so. Gordon modestly said “thank you” and gladly obliged to pose for a cell phone photo with my son and I.

We made our way to the stairs. I turned to say a last “good bye” to Gord and the guys. The guys were engaged in conversation with other folks, but it was Gord that waved across the distance and said “Thanks for coming out.” We left the room happy and grateful and looking forward to the next time we can make it out to see Gordon. Maybe Toronto in November? It’s a long shot but anything is possible.

Thanks for indulging me, everybody. I am grateful for all you guys in this newsgroup as well. This is certainly a classy group of people, which shouldn’t surprise me since we all follow the life and career of a classy artist. (pictures attached but, unfortunately, only with cell phone quality)

RM 08-01-2009 12:46 AM

Very nice. I really like those photos, regardless of the resolution. Everyone looks like a 'happy camper'.

Your reports are a pleasure to read, and I hope the fates allow a Massey Hall recounting this year.

208025731639 08-01-2009 07:47 AM

pp

dfwefgerdfedgfcvf

xrickx 08-01-2009 09:23 AM

Tim, These are great pictures. Glad that you and Timmy got to meet with Gord and the gang. I was watching some of GL's TV appearances and whatnot on youtube, he's been going strong for so many years.

While sitting at Chautauqau, the 2 songs that I do miss hearing him play are Ghosts of Cape Horn and I always liked The Auctioneer. I'll also throw in Thank You for the Promises.

Meg (my wife) always starts to cry during Shadows, what an incredible song.