Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Massey Hall (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=18111)

Martyn Miles 02-12-2008 03:49 AM

Massey Hall

I've been a Lightfoot fan since the early '70s, but have never seen him in concert. I missed any UK tours because of cicumstances beyond my control. I was aware Gordon played in the Massey Hall for 3 nights, usually in November. On checking this year's dates I noticed he'd be there in May. I took a chance, ordered a ticket and I'm off on May 6th. I can't wait ! It will be the trip of a lifetime, and I've never travelled by myself before. I'm taking 10 days in all to see a bit of Canada, too. Martyn Miles Oxford England

bigal6610 02-12-2008 04:00 AM

Re: Massey Hall

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn Miles (Post 134424)
I've been a Lightfoot fan since the early '70s, but have never seen him in concert. I missed any UK tours because of cicumstances beyond my control. I was aware Gordon played in the Massey Hall for 3 nights, usually in November. On checking this year's dates I noticed he'd be there in May. I took a chance, ordered a ticket and I'm off on May 6th. I can't wait ! It will be the trip of a lifetime, and I've never travelled by myself before. I'm taking 10 days in all to see a bit of Canada, too. Martyn Miles Oxford England

You won't be sorry; have a great time!

Jesse Joe 02-12-2008 07:12 AM

Really is great that this year fans are coming from far away... 100% Lightheads. :)

charlene 02-12-2008 10:51 AM

You're in for a real treat Martyn! See you in May at Massey! There's a whole bunch of folks heading to Toronto - another fellow from Norwich is heading over for his third time. Lots of U.S. states will be represented as well so stay tuned for Massey news..

brink- 02-12-2008 01:07 PM

You will have a great time, going to Massey is like going to a family reunion. You will be welcomed by all the like minded people and you will feel like you have known everyone for years. Keep posting here and get to know everyone. I won't be there this year and am sorry I will miss meeting you. Canada in May is a great time. If you play or sing you will have lots of people to do that with also. Are you going to all four nights?

Martyn Miles 02-13-2008 11:18 AM

I'm just going for the one night, May 7th. I don't know anyone else from England who is going. I have a Lightfoot friend in Kent ( whose e-mail Val Magee sent me). I don't usually go on holiday on my own. I once did a project at school on the Canadian logging industry and always wanted to go to Canada. I hope Gordy sings ' Canadian Railroad Trilogy' . It's my favourite. I shall look forward to meeting other fans, wherever they come from .

Jesse Joe 02-13-2008 01:57 PM

Hey Martyn Miles,

It's not often that he doesn't do the Trilogy. He usually ends up the concert with that one CRT. :)

Paul (PJB) 02-13-2008 02:49 PM

Hi Martyn, I am Paul from Norwich. Char referred to me in her earlier post.

It's great to know that there will be another fan from England in Toronto in May and I can assure you that you will have a great time. This is my fourth trip. I first went over in 2001 and it was really exciting to see Gord play live for the first time having been a fan for many years. You will meet some really lovely people and Toronto is a great city to explore. Make sure you visit Fran's for breakfast! See you in May.

Paul

lighthead2toe 02-13-2008 08:28 PM

Welcome aboard Martyn. Attending the Massey gigs is the way to go for any Lightfoot fan. You'll love every minute. Lots of stuff happening and the folks who come there to gather are the ones that make it happen. I look forward to meeting you and singin' a tune or two. Cheers, Ron Jones.

Martyn Miles 02-14-2008 03:48 AM

I'm obviously in good compamy, and I haven't arrived yet! Paul, it's good to know of another GL fan in the UK. Back in '99 I asked Val. M. if there were any other fans in the UK and she gave me 5 names. I've only kept in touch with one, in Kent. We've been communicating since then, but have never met. Oddly though, he has become a friend. Lightfoot fans seem to have a little of my outlook on life. I don't have to tell others how his songs have accompanied me through all the ups and downs of life. He's a true poet. I did communicate briefly with a lady in Dorset who posted here, but I've not heard anything from her since. Martyn .

johnfowles 02-14-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn Miles (Post 134506)
I'm obviously in good compamy, and I haven't arrived yet! Paul, it's good to know of another GL fan in the UK. Back in '99 I asked Val. M. if there were any other fans in the UK and she gave me 5 names. I've only kept in touch with one, in Kent. We've been communicating since then, but have never met. Oddly though, he has become a friend. Lightfoot fans seem to have a little of my outlook on life. I don't have to tell others how his songs have accompanied me through all the ups and downs of life. He's a true poet. I did communicate briefly with a lady in Dorset who posted here, but I've not heard anything from her since. Martyn .

Intersting Martin.having lived from 1969 to 2000 in my home town of Sherborne Dorset, I have to say that the only ladies in Dorset that I knew were Lightheads were a handful that I had personally introduced to the wonder of his music and I do not recall any of them ever posting anything here. I am therefore intrigued to know who she was and also who were the 5 that Val told you about ( probably 2 were myself and Bruna "silverheels" Zanelli.)
Looking forwards to meeting you in Toronto. Be sure to book yourself into the Delta Chelsea Hotel, where many of the regulars will probably be staying and hopefully somebody (Janice? CHar??) will in due course before it is too late be organising a room for the traditional jam session. It is a very fine hotel and is in a super position a fairly short walk from Massey,
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfo...ta_Chelsea.jpg
showing the Hotel (A) and Massey Hall (by the cursor)
and some rooms look out over Yonge Street, plus next door is the very British style Elephant and Castle Pub usually serving draft UK real ale (London Pride) and Yorkshire Pudding

charlene 02-14-2008 11:38 AM

as fas I know Janice won't be making it this year.

As far as the room - it was pretty pricey and we couldn't make any noise after 11 or so - I'm thinking that wo't work this time..

Not sure what other arrangements other than the jam sessions being held in the coffee shoppe off the lobby at the Delta as we've done in the past..I'll work on it..

brink- 02-14-2008 11:57 AM

Martyn, it is amazing how easily you can make friends at Massey. I wish you would reconsider only going one night, most people go all four nights and although the set list doesn't change much - it is a once in a lifetime event every single night. A couple years ago, Gord was having difficulty whistling the Ghosts of Cape Horn - our friend Bill started it and then the whole theater was whistling, Gord loved it....what a beautiful, impromptu, and respectful "assist" by an adoring public.

johnfowles 02-14-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene (Post 134524)
as fas I know Janice won't be making it this year.

As far as the room - it was pretty pricey and we couldn't make any noise after 11 or so - I'm thinking that wo't work this time..

Not sure what other arrangements other than the jam sessions being held in the coffee shoppe off the lobby at the Delta as we've done in the past..I'll work on it..

Yes well, two comments at least are in order
  1. is there a chance that as in previous years we can get a special group rate and persuade the staff that we need a free conference room justified by the expected large number of paying guests
  2. or the idea as I understand it is that somebody books a room next to one of the available large suites (with folding doors to enable one large room)
  3. it should be stresed that in 2006 due to the complete lack of understanding, consideration and efficiency shown by the booking staff a couple who desired some peace and quiet were in absolute error allocated the room right next to what should have been (and was paid for as such) our after concert meeting room and hence when they complained about the noise instead of offering them a quieter room we were unjustifiably told to shut up. But after herculean efforts by Ron Jones the hotel reluctantly said we could use part of the closed Market Garden cafeteria.
    This was far from ideal especially when the various bodies who tried to turn off the obtrusive "music" eminating from the overhead loudspeakers turned out to be a bunch of clowns who took far too long to work out how to do this simple task
just my 1 pennie's worth

charlene 02-14-2008 12:46 PM

The rooms we've previously had were adjacent to bedrooms. A couple of times members of our group were in the adjacent rooms and conference room we used was 'erroneously' given to us at no cost. The conference room with bedroom is quite pricey..

Last year we couldn't get a deal at all. No way, despite the number of conventioneers we had staying at the Delta..

We had the room for two days at a cost of $500.00 and because the hotel is in the business of renting out rooms they rented one for other guests that was adjacent to the conference room we had.

Because the room is actually a 'conference' room it's main use would be during the day not after 11 p.m. for a large group of folks who also want to have 'live' music for a few hours.

So..we have a bit of a dilemma..we are looking into things however..

johnfowles 02-14-2008 01:08 PM

OK thanks for the clarification .Nevertheless I maintain that we still have a valid complaint because as you said it was $500 for TWO days, (presumably the relevant Saturday and the next day Sunday)( which as far as I can see should logically have included all of Saturday night if we so desired) but because of the fact that they had ineptly let somebody have an adjacent room we demonstrably did not get our money's worth.
I suggest these facts are forcibly brought to their attention and that the least they could do is let us have a room at half price for two days as compensation

brink- 02-14-2008 01:15 PM

Good Luck with that John, give them a call or email them. Last year Janice and I and I think Char bombarded them with "solutions" and requests. They don't care. Problem this year is going to be that there is a city wide chiropractors convention in Toronto at the same time. So book a room early, when I was planning on going I called to book a room and they snickered because is was so far away, then they looked and many, many rooms were already booked.

charlene 02-14-2008 01:38 PM

It was a "conference room" - not a 'party' room or ball room or reception room..It was not meant for live music or loud partiers after 11 p.m.
Regardless of anyone occupying the adjacent room the noise traveled throughout the hallway to other rooms..that's how it was. Nothing could be done then and nothing can be done now so no need to ponder on it any further..

johnfowles 02-14-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene (Post 134537)
Nothing could be done then and nothing can be done now so no need to ponder on it any further..

OK OK point taken. the lesson from 2006 is to ensure ahead of time that there is sombody on the premises capable of the simple task of silencing (without using a gun) the unwanted Muzak in the Market Garden area if we are allowed to party later on any one night

charlene 02-14-2008 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=sombody on the premises capable of the simple task of silencing (without using a gun) the unwanted Muzak in the Market Garden area if we are allowed to party later on any one night[/QUOTE]

this Sir John is your task.

should you accept it...this thread will self destruct in 10,9,8,7,....

Martyn Miles 02-15-2008 03:53 AM

In reply to johnfowles re. ' the lady in Dorset' I'm sure I saw her post here. I may be wrong... It was some time ago. She said she'd never posted before and was touched by someone contacting her re. Gordy. She worked for Devon County Council. I e-mailed her a couple of times, but no replies. I've deleted the e-mails anyway. Ships in the night ? I've booked two nights at an hotel, The Bond Place on Dundas St. East. I just looked up hotels close to Massey and boked online. I'm going to have to get organised to meet all you other fans! Martyn .

johnfowles 02-15-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn Miles (Post 134562)
In reply to johnfowles re. ' the lady in Dorset' I'm sure I saw her post here. I may be wrong... It was some time ago. She said she'd never posted before and was touched by someone contacting her re. Gordy. She worked for Devon County Council. I e-mailed her a couple of times, but no replies. I've deleted the e-mails anyway. Ships in the night ? I've booked two nights at an hotel, The Bond Place on Dundas St. East. I just looked up hotels close to Massey and boked online. I'm going to have to get organised to meet all you other fans! Martyn .

OK Martyn
If she worked for Devon CC possibly in Executer, then she might well have lived in Devon not Dorset as the nearest point of Dorset
to Exeter must be a good 40 miles away.
I see you are going to be shaken not stirred in your hotel, but as it is on Dundas East it cannot be far from the convention HQ at the Delta Chelsea and the boozer next door.so as far as meeting the rest of us you could mosey on over to one or other of the bars at the Delta or the Hephalump and Castle.
If all else fails before the concert starts look for a lot of giggling fans congregating at the very front near the stage.
ask one if they are from corfid.
Better still make yourself a badge a Union Jack with corfid on it large will give us a hint!!
and here is one suggestion
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfo...39;s_Badge.jpg
That one I have resized to 192 pixels high so that it prints out 2 inches high. but if you have an old card holder hanging around you can surely crop
it or resize it to fit

lighthead2toe 02-15-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn Miles (Post 134562)

The Bond is quite a nice hotel Martyn and also very close to Massey Hall and the Eaton Centre. So everything you'll need to be comfortable will be at arm's length. Cheers, Ron J.

Martyn Miles 02-18-2008 04:24 AM

This is turning out to be better than I thought, and I'm not even there yet... As for the 'lady in Dorset ' , she may well have worked for Dorset, not Devon CC . As I said, I've lost the e-mails. It would be good if she made contact again, as I only keep in regular touch with one other G L fan in the UK. Martyn .