Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   Lightfoot Covers (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Gig with Paul Bartlett and Paul Johnston (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=22265)

JohnStinson 08-31-2010 01:36 PM

Gig with Paul Bartlett and Paul Johnston

Thought I'd chime in to say that I had a very enjoyable night playing Lightfoot tunes at the Lionhead Golf Club in Brampton on Saturday. There's a few videos up. The two Pauls play so well they make it look like I'm playing the hard parts. (..a line stolen from John Prine about Steve Goodman BTW..) ...have a peak.

http://www.youtube.com/user/002002jes

..john stinson

jj 09-07-2010 09:45 PM

Re: Gig with Paul Bartlett and Paul Johnston

i hope your rider included a free round:)

sounds good...must be lots of gigs awaiting east or west of GTA, so easily accessible using 407...will have to keep an eye on your site events section

the magnetic paul johnston is unusually sedated (and seated) in white here...love his energy...maybe we can get Clements to move around the GL stage like this, lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/002002je...12/7h0WVu4Zu9c

does you perform any tunes without the bedding tracks?

i wonder if you will one day wake up and sound like the present day Gord;)

audiences seem to be doing more listening and less chatting, they've come to their senses...keep it up guys

JohnStinson 09-08-2010 10:09 PM

opus.... jj..... ok then....

We did these songs without tracks at the Lionhead gig...

Pony Man
If Children Had Wngs
Changes

...i think that was it.

Does that mean you don't like em..?? tracks that is.

They are cheap bass and drum guys ..

jj 09-09-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnStinson (Post 165336)
opus.... jj..... ok then....

Does that mean you don't like em..??

no it doesn't....these are really nicely put together and they add a dominant groove for those gigs that call for it (ie. lots of drinking, chatting, dancing, etc) but i certainly prefer just hearing live off the floor stuff when you've got the sort of talent that you and the Two Paulies have

with your lead abilities you could go 100% with backing tracks and have 1 or 2 less guys to pay, lol...but you couldn't replace the chemistry and banter you guys seem to have...it's great that you can go with a trio, solo or either duo

btw, i remember hearing mr bartlett for the first time (he did Insp lady) as well as mr johnston (he was playing licks right beside me the entire time, and performed a robust High and Dry) at one of the hotel jams...the one that earned all Lightheads a lifetime Delta Chelsea ban...yeah, they love us:kiss:

i'd love to hear more off of your stellar 'Sundown-era' voice singing selection from WFY, APPT, Harmony albums...drink your glasses empty, much to my surprise, river of light, harmony, couchiching (yes seriously, lol)...i could go on

great to hear the new board mix...going forward, maybe you could leave a subtle bit of the camera mic ambience in the mix and bring it right up as each tune closes out

i know you are true to the studio recording but here is the bridge i spoke of (see 1:40 mark)

YouTube - Gordon Lightfoot - 3 songs performed live at Muchmusic Studios 1999-07-07

my last request (besides a smoke) is that it might be a great blast of energy to start your show with Spin Spin...perhaps end with Sometimes I Wish...ok, enough already

cheers,
opie

ps) by a free round, i meant Legends

JohnStinson 09-09-2010 09:47 AM

I absolutely want to do those Waiting For You tunes and Painter Passing and Harmony...

Excuses...

still trying to perfect the 50 I have tried.... I still muff If You Could Read My Mind and I must have played that one live 250 times. The most of all of em.

Practice time usually is hard to find and then decreases in effectiveness by booze...unlike Lightfoot ...I still drink. Going to Johnston's place tonite to give a go at Bend In The Water, Race Among The Ruins, and others. Hell,..I may record it and show you what I mean.

My 7 note range is reducing by one note a year. Try singing Rainbow Trout its very high. I might change the chorus in Winters Night like Gord did in a few tunes. ah...but true believers would not like it.

..great fun all round though...love it.

john

JohnStinson 09-09-2010 09:55 AM

Just viewed that I'll Do Anything. WOW Never heard that before.

I definitely need to put that in ...very nice.

tx

jj 09-09-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnStinson (Post 165357)
My 7 note range is reducing by one note a year

well, six years down the road you'll still be able to cover Cohen & Cockburn

drinking seems to affect tempo so keeping those drum beds is a good idea, lol

i'll look forward to that bridge, i never even heard it til 1999...have a great eve