Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   Small Talk (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anyone A Fan Of Roger Whittaker? (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=28638)

Affair on Touhy Ave. 12-30-2017 07:53 PM

Anyone A Fan Of Roger Whittaker?

His most famous song is probably The Last Farewell which Chicago station WGN-TV used the opening intro as a station ID in the late 70's.

Here's another song.

Jim Nasium 01-14-2018 06:36 AM

Re: Anyone A Fan Of Roger Whittaker?

Durham Town, Roger Whittaker's first hit in the UK, he had a few. The only snag is that the River Tyne does not run through Durham.

lighthead2toe 01-14-2018 01:08 PM

A wonderful entertainer and one of my favourites.
He played Massey Hall several times and at one concert he introduced one of his daughters who sang with him. This would have been during the eighties.
I recall shortly after the death of his father he came to perform at Massey Hall and dressed as a clown he sang "Oh My Pa Pa." It was a very moving performance.
Thanks for this post.

Jim Nasium 01-15-2018 07:28 AM

He is a pretty impressive whistler

Affair on Touhy Ave. 01-15-2018 06:35 PM

This is an interesting song.

Might find this song interesting if you're from S.D.

Martyn Miles 03-29-2018 05:09 PM

I have a vinyl LP of Roger Whittaker’s called ‘New World in the Morning’ which I love. Some of the songs were co-written by people who sent their lyrics to Roger via a radio programme. They are some of my favourite songs on the LP.
The album has never been released on CD, so I look after the LP very carefully. I understand Roger no longer performs and has retired to France.

MistyMoppens 04-08-2020 04:05 PM

I love Roger Whittaker. His voice is every bit as good as Gordon's & Brian Ekard's and his choice of songs is superb.

I'm very much into the old (and new) tall ships so his "Last Farewell" is my favorite. It smacks of romance, is about tall ships and it longs for England, as I do. That song reminds me about Lord Horatio Nelson who won the Battle of Trafalgar & was cut down by a sniper there and his trollop Lady Emma Hamilton. Too bad they took that beauitiful video down at youtube.

Affair on Touhy Ave. 04-12-2020 02:53 PM

Funny thing it appears some of his songs if not re-recorded like Lightfoot's stuff was edited.

Songs like

Durham Town

I Don't Believe In If Anymore

The Last Farewell

They have back up singers which didn't exist in the original recordings.

MistyMoppens 04-13-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Affair on Touhy Ave. (Post 192912)
Funny thing it appears some of his songs if not re-recorded like Lightfoot's stuff was edited.

Songs like

Durham Town

I Don't Believe In If Anymore

The Last Farewell

They have back up singers which didn't exist in the original recordings.

I wish Brian Ekard could find a way to record "The Last Farewell"... (But is that a French horn? How to? eek.) Brian can turn me into a crybaby even faster than Gordon can. His music just picks me away & carries me helplessly away.

Affair on Touhy Ave. 04-15-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Nasium (Post 190906)
Roger Whittaker- Durham Town Live - YouTube

Durham Town, Roger Whittaker's first hit in the UK, he had a few. The only snag is that the River Tyne does not run through Durham.

The song was released here in the US 7 years later.

Who know why it took them that long to release it here but it made the AC charts.

MistyMoppens 04-15-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Affair on Touhy Ave. (Post 192950)
The song was released here in the US 7 years later.

Who know why it took them that long to release it here but it made the AC charts.

Record executives are, in general, dumber than dead Pet Rocks.

Example: The Bee Gees had a MONSTER HIT called "You Win Again". It was released world-wide. (EVERYWHERE BUT IN THE STATES!!!) And it was Princess Diana's favorite as well as my own fave Bee Gees song. So many versions of it on youtube. I like the version of Barry in all denim but every version is great. My fave cat is a major music fan. She loves her "good music" - especially Gordon's. :D