Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I'd Do It Again (do WHAT again?) (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=12535)

speckbacke 07-25-2007 09:58 PM

This is a song I haven't heard in a long time, and it's one of his lesser songs, but what is this song about?? :confused:

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' 07-25-2007 09:58 PM

This is a song I haven't heard in a long time, and it's one of his lesser songs, but what is this song about?? :confused:

seafarer62 07-26-2007 09:39 PM

He used to do this song a lot in concert in the late 70's and early 80's. Hard driving 12-string performance with a great Terry solo.

Think it disappeared from the set lists in the mid-80's as newer material overtook it.

The song appears to be very straight-forward to me; an ode to his days from the 1960's as a solo act and he would go from gig to gig and give it his all.....only to repeat the show the next night in another town.

loaptubmult 07-30-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by seafarer62:
He used to do this song a lot in concert in the late 70's and early 80's. Hard driving 12-string performance with a great Terry solo.

Think it disappeared from the set lists in the mid-80's as newer material overtook it.

The song appears to be very straight-forward to me; an ode to his days from the 1960's as a solo act and he would go from gig to gig and give it his all.....only to repeat the show the next night in another town.

I love that solo.

I think you are correct that it is an ode, written about a fictional character who has been doing that type of gig for decades. I'd do it again refers to living his life the same way all over.

FTR - I do not consider this to be a "lesser song".

mstove 07-30-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by seafarer62:

I love that solo.

I think you are correct that it is an ode, written about a fictional character who has been doing that type of gig for decades. I'd do it again refers to living his life the same way all over.

FTR - I do not consider this to be a "lesser song".

RJ 07-30-2007 03:07 PM

re: He'd do it again by golly..

..or as Yogi Berra once quipped,
"If I had to do it all over again? ..I would!"

I've always loved the line in the beautiful Wild Strawberries..

"If I had a dollar,
if I had a cent
I would play most anywhere,
if it would pay my rent..
to be living on the downside,
in my old apartment,
for the rest of my days.."

[ July 30, 2007, 15:15: Message edited by: RJ ]