GORD: 5 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW
1. At age 13, Gord Lightfoot made his first Massey Hall
appearance. He won the Kiwanis Music Festival for Boy's Unchanged
2. Before he made it big, Lightfoot made 250 appearances on Country
Hoedown, most of them as a square dancer as well as singer. When he got
his coffee house career going, he asked Gordie Tapp for help with jokes
3. When Lightfoot and his first wife divorced in 1974, it was said to be
the costliest divorce settlement in Canadian legal history.
4. When Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review rolled through Toronto, the
party was at Lightfoot's in Rosedale. When Bobby Neuwirth threw his
jacket into the fireplace, and smoke billowed up, Lightfoot began to
worry that the party was getting out of hand.
5. For 14 years Lightfoot has sung at the midnight Christmas service of
his local church. Sometimes he does the early service as well. "I
got most of my training singing in the church choir," he says.
"I figure I owe them."